Will a club outside the big 4 ever win the title again?

Permabanned
abruzz1 said:
How do you measure passion?

That's why it doesn't happen. But, anyone who has spent time in Newcastle will know how passionate they are. I live amongst Liverpool fans and when Liverpool go through a rough patch, many of the fans tend not to say much but when they win something they don;t shut up for about 20years.

Soldato
OP
I've always been a Spurs fan. They last won the title in 1961, 3 years before i was born - i doubt i'll live long enough to see them win it again.

Soldato
As a toon fan I do think they have the potential to be up the top 4 they've got the ground, they've got the fans, they've got 7 or 8 very good players but realistically are years away from a title win.

Can't see anyone other than the top 4 winning the league in the next 5 years minimum. Hell only Blackburn have won the league outside the top 3 (Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea) in the last 15 years so it's very unlikely especially with how money rules in the premiership these days and the champions league millions are all going to the same 4 pretty much every year.

Soldato
Psycho Ned said:
Can't see anyone other than the top 4 winning the league in the next 5 years minimum.
I agree, 5 years is a realistic timeframe. Anything beyond that goes into speculation as so much could change in that time.

Soldato
Outside the "BIG" top 4.. Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool

Id have to say Newcastle probably have the best chance....not just as a newcastle fan... but as a football fan.

Yeh it wont be soon but whenever a non top four 4 club ever does

Don
Like others have said its not going to happen in the next 10 years without a Chelsea style spending spree. But if/when it does happen i would have thourght it would be one of Spurs, Villa or Newcastle.

Associate
I remember a time when there was a cycle with clubs at the top. They would put a great team together for 3-4 years winning everything, have the team break up then spend the next 5+ years assembling a new squad. In the meantime some other teams would get the chance to strut their stuff.

I think this cycle has changed due to football becoming more about money than sport. The big clubs get richer investing in new talent constantly, thus removing the cycle, due to new quality talent being ready to replace the old.

Like others have said I can't see the top 4 losing their grip unless big money is invested in another club, and it's somehow able to attract the quality players, which is tough if you're not in the top 4.

Vicious circle............ :rolleyes:

Soldato
I don't think the team would have to have a rich backer. I may be wrong, but I'm sure Arsenal didn't have a cash injection, they have just benefitted from good scouting and shrewd deals. They used to finish around mid-table (I think?) in the mid-nineties and look at them now, they are classed as a top four team.

My heart is probably ruling my head here but I think Newcastle have the best chance in the next ten years. We've finally good a decent academy now, producing players like Taylor, Edgar, Huntingdon, Carroll etc. and the youth team is in the semi-finals of the FA Youth Cup. I think we need a manager of Bobby's ability again to make us a title challenger.

I think players like Owen will help us to attract players, regardless of his reasons for being here. As with Taylor and Milner in a few years, who will be England first teamers.

Soldato
chesterstu said:
Personally, I don't think they will for quite a while. If it was down to the passion of support then i think they would and some of the current top 3/4 would be near the bottom, tbh.

I hope you dont mean Liverpool, at the top IMO them and newcastle.

I cant see anyone but liverpool arsenal manu or the chavs winning it for a long while! With more money coming into the league in general, that can only mean good managers make more of a difference though, so villa bolton and portsmouth will continue to get better. The big 4 will not be a big 5 or 6 for a while (sadly for the league).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom