1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will blue ray ever come down in price

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Cooler running, 30 Apr 2019.

1. Rimsy

Mobster

Tape drives came out in the 1950's and are still readily available and used... so you never know

2. Rofflay

Perma Banned

Thier link to M drives does not work, I must check if the ocuk drive can write all the m disc formats i noticed it supports M disc but it is pretty vague on the topic. Looks a good drive i think it will go into the christmas buy list for sure now.

3. PC777

Hitman

I'm pretty sure the Pioneer BDXL that OCUK sell does burn M discs, I plan to get a couple to try out after testing out the non M rewritable discs I'm getting sent from Japan.

Edit: Just an aside, one thing I really like about those M discs is that essentially the data is carved into stone at a microscopic level rather than just being ink like in normal discs, so like I saw in a comment on Youtube, there's a connection to truly ancient times and carving things into stone tablets.

Last edited: 11 Nov 2020
  4. Rofflay

Perma Banned

Yea that is cool, Like the wheel and steam power and a few others still going strong. Nuclear power is essentially a big kettle hehe. Thanks for the help as well i am 100% buying that drive in about two weeks. I might wait a bit on buying M discs though i need to search where they are sold. Hopefully they are sold ij the UK.

5. pp111

Wise Guy

Must confess that I haven't even seen a disk for about 10 years now! I used to have players and recorders all over the house, not to mention the "all the way up the wall" disc storage, but all that's gone now. I have about three USB sticks and that's it. Everything else is on HDD.

The problem with blue ray is that sales have declined in recent years. As they continue to decline the various companies seem to have decided to try to squeeze as much money out of them as possible.

6. Simon Collins

Associate

Isn't there some licencing tax put onto Bluray drives that goes to Sony still?

Not sure about that, could be wrong and there isn't one anymore.

7. turbot1984

Wise Guy

Must admit blu ray still looks great on my old Sony player compared to HD tv streams. Only have a couple though, and hundreds of dvds.

8. Simon Collins

Associate

Well it usually goes like this.

UHD Bluray > 4K streaming
    Bluray > HD streaming
    DVD > SD streaming

Optical discs will always offer better quality over their streaming versions. Except DVD as some discs have been compressed too much anyways to fit on commercials and all so bit pointless. Seen DVD's that don't even use the entire 4.7gb for a movie and think 700mb-1.5gb is enough. In that case, SD streaming could very well beat that dvd in quality.

9. Troezar

Mobster

Yes it's much better on my TV but I have pretty slow internet. I like the control of physical media, watch when I want no extra costs, works offline, not compromise on bitrate or compressed audio. That said streamed TV is fine for the masses who don't buy TV's, receivers or speakers looking for high quality.