Will blue ray ever come down in price

Permabanned
Also a big part of consoles keeping disc drives is allowing games to gifted physically and loaned and swapped, etc. Basically keeping high street gaming stores on life support.

I'm definitely impressed by the archival single write M Discs the more I read about them. They can take some beating and still be fine, use stone instead of dye in their construction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

http://www.mdisc.com/

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag...-uk.org.uk/mag/artsep16/mol-mdisc-review.html

One 100GB M Disc could conceivably store a whole family's lifetime of photos for hundreds of years. So much better than SSD for long term storage it seems.

Thier link to M drives does not work, I must check if the ocuk drive can write all the m disc formats i noticed it supports M disc but it is pretty vague on the topic. Looks a good drive i think it will go into the christmas buy list for sure now.

Associate
I'm pretty sure the Pioneer BDXL that OCUK sell does burn M discs, I plan to get a couple to try out after testing out the non M rewritable discs I'm getting sent from Japan.

Edit: Just an aside, one thing I really like about those M discs is that essentially the data is carved into stone at a microscopic level rather than just being ink like in normal discs, so like I saw in a comment on Youtube, there's a connection to truly ancient times and carving things into stone tablets.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I'm pretty sure the Pioneer BDXL that OCUK sell does burn M discs, I plan to get a couple to try out after testing out the non M rewritable discs I'm getting sent from Japan.

Edit: Just an aside, one thing I really like about those M discs is that essentially the data is carved into stone at a microscopic level rather than just being ink like in normal discs, so like I saw in a comment on Youtube, there's a connection to truly ancient times and carving things into stone tablets.

Yea that is cool, Like the wheel and steam power and a few others still going strong. Nuclear power is essentially a big kettle hehe. Thanks for the help as well i am 100% buying that drive in about two weeks. I might wait a bit on buying M discs though i need to search where they are sold. Hopefully they are sold ij the UK.

Permabanned
What on earth are people still using optical media for?

I have a USB stick, that has done away with any need for disks in my life. :p

Bit odd that blu-ray drives are still £60-odd though... Thats the same as what I paid for mine about 9 years ago.

Must confess that I haven't even seen a disk for about 10 years now! I used to have players and recorders all over the house, not to mention the "all the way up the wall" disc storage, but all that's gone now. I have about three USB sticks and that's it. Everything else is on HDD.

The problem with blue ray is that sales have declined in recent years. As they continue to decline the various companies seem to have decided to try to squeeze as much money out of them as possible.

Soldato
Must admit blu ray still looks great on my old Sony player compared to HD tv streams. Only have a couple though, and hundreds of dvds.

Yes it's much better on my TV but I have pretty slow internet. I like the control of physical media, watch when I want no extra costs, works offline, not compromise on bitrate or compressed audio. That said streamed TV is fine for the masses who don't buy TV's, receivers or speakers looking for high quality.

Back
Top Bottom