• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will I HAVE to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and PSU for a 1070?

Soldato
Hey Guys,

Not been here for a while, and my trusty old PC (4 years old now) is working fine, but I've been PC gaming a lot again recently, so getting the itch to upgrade the GPU, but I'd like to only upgrade the GPU if I can.

So my question is, will I HAVE to upgrade my motherboard, CPU and/or PSU if I upgrade to a GeForce 1070. My current specs are:

• EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked 2048MB GDDR5
  • Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40GHz (Ivybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor (77W)
  • Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard
  • Seasonic M12II 650W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular Power Supply

As I say, I'd like to keep all of this, and just swap out the 680 for the 1070, but will the rest be able to keep up? I'm thinking I will need a new PSU however.

I don't do any overclocking, so I simply drop them in if that makes a difference.

Any help will be appreciated!

ta

Associate
I also have a non-overclocked 3570k and a 1070, and the CPU just about keeps up with the GPU in the games I've played, and this is with a 1080p 144Hz monitor. If you use a higher res or lower refresh rate you should be fine, but yes overclocking the CPU will make a noticeable difference in some games.

Associate
PSU - Viewing a Bit tech review of GTX 1070 the total system drew 340W from the wall, so say ~300W load on PSU. Test system had a i7 5960X (8 core 140W) OC'd CPU, so I reckon with your 650W your good to go.

Mobo - No issue, again.

CPU - OC and you'll be AOK IMO. Worst case your system may bench slightly lower than newer CPU. Quickly viewing some 3DM FS results on 3dmark official database, graphics scores are very close between an i5 3570K vs newer gen CPU (ie GS score, GT1/GT2 FPS). Some people are still on Sandy bridge as they can't justify an upgrade (ie 2nd gen) and you have Ivy bridge (ie 3rd gen).

Associate
PSU - Viewing a Bit tech review of GTX 1070 the total system drew 340W from the wall, so say ~300W load on PSU. Test system had a i7 5960X (8 core 140W) OC'd CPU, so I reckon with your 650W your good to go.

Mobo - No issue, again.

CPU - OC and you'll be AOK IMO. Worst case your system may bench slightly lower than newer CPU. Quickly viewing some 3DM FS results on 3dmark official database, graphics scores are very close between an i5 3570K vs newer gen CPU (ie GS score, GT1/GT2 FPS). Some people are still on Sandy bridge as they can't justify an upgrade (ie 2nd gen) and you have Ivy bridge (ie 3rd gen).
this :)

Man of Honour
^This. It's extremely important to have the latest bios on the Gigabyte Z77 motherboards otherwise you will more than likely be looking at a black screen when you fit the 1070. Everything else is fine but do get that 3570k overclocked. It should hit 4.4Ghz easily enough.

Back
Top Bottom