• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will i regret buying a 1050 Ti for £150 right now?

Associate
Built my girlfriend a mini gaming machine for the odd occasion she wants to play co-op with me, use steam link, or stream some films. It will also involve her borrowing one of my 1440p monitors.

Spec: Mini-ITX motherboard and case, i3 8100, 8GB RAM

The card I've got my eye on is the small Asus £150 1050 Ti, but I feel like I shouldn't be paying this price for it (either something new is about to come out to drop prices, or I'm paying too much for the performance it gives)

What do you guys think? Good purchase or not? I think I'm just being picky and the prices won't drop any time soon...

Associate
OP
I already decided to stretch from a 1050 to a Ti :D
She's not going to be playing any AAA games, and even if she does.. I'm sure she can suffice with some lower settings - I'm only using a 1060 6GB myself!

Permabanned
Built my girlfriend a mini gaming machine for the odd occasion she wants to play co-op with me, use steam link, or stream some films. It will also involve her borrowing one of my 1440p monitors.
Spec: Mini-ITX motherboard and case, i3 8100, 8GB RAM
The card I've got my eye on is the small Asus £150 1050 Ti, but I feel like I shouldn't be paying this price for it (either something new is about to come out to drop prices, or I'm paying too much for the performance it gives)
What do you guys think? Good purchase or not? I think I'm just being picky and the prices won't drop any time soon...

I'd wait but if I couldn't I'd grab the cheapest secondhand card that will just about manage to do what I need it ti do and then I'd wait for the next gen release and inevitable old gen price drops, If I wanted to buy a card now and not have to worry for a few years I'd save up a bit more money so I could grab the 6gb GTX 1060 or 8gb RX 580.

Soldato
indeed and there was one on avforums for £140 delivered yesterday. (only reason i am not suggesting here is the high post count prerequisite to get on).

obviously there is ebay but personally i feel happier buying 2nd hand from a community like AVF (or here if you can)

Associate
OP
Thanks guys! I'll check this out.

indeed and there was one on avforums for £140 delivered yesterday. (only reason i am not suggesting here is the high post count prerequisite to get on).

obviously there is ebay but personally i feel happier buying 2nd hand from a community like AVF (or here if you can)
I have an avforums account so I'll check there as well!

Soldato
id look on the used market as you might get lucky like i did.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £209.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

this is the one i have and couple weeks or so ago i purchased a 3-4 month old one with box, packaging, driver dvd for £70 on a private sale and been brilliant, however if i was buying new id stretch for the 3gb 1060 as its better card.

Soldato
id look on the used market as you might get lucky like i did.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £209.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)

this is the one i have and couple weeks or so ago i purchased a 3-4 month old one with box, packaging, driver dvd for £70 on a private sale and been brilliant, however if i was buying new id stretch for the 3gb 1060 as its better card.
Didn't realise some variant of 1050Ti is now as high as £200!! That's bloody mental!!

Really miss the 400 and 500 series days where mid-range and flagship are sub £550 mainstream card, before Titan came along inflating the price for each tier of the cards onto the next price bracket up...

Soldato
i do agree with you. prices are silly now (talking rrp here not having a pop at the vendors)

but that said i suppose they are a whole different beast now to what we had 10 years ago. the coolers alone must be worth a lot more than they used to be, and, on the bright side, the savvy shopper can get high end gaming out of a top end card for a lot longer now.

(my gtx 980 bought black friday 2014 is still good for full detail 1080p in most games and that will be almost 4 years old before it gets replaced. i will be hoping from the same of my next card....... which is not like years gone by when you were lucky to get 2 years before your top end gpu was obsolete.)

Soldato
i do agree with you. prices are silly now (talking rrp here not having a pop at the vendors)

but that said i suppose they are a whole different beast now to what we had 10 years ago. the coolers alone must be worth a lot more than they used to be, and, on the bright side, the savvy shopper can get high end gaming out of a top end card for a lot longer now.

(my gtx 980 bought black friday 2014 is still good for full detail 1080p in most games and that will be almost 4 years old before it gets replaced. i will be hoping from the same of my next card....... which is not like years gone by when you were lucky to get 2 years before your top end gpu was obsolete.)

The problem is though with the exception of 1080Ti (at sky high price), the improvement in graphic card performance has been extremely slow.

I mean it's been 4 and half years, cards like 580 and 1060Ti are still pretty much in the same ballpark as the 290 series and 970/980 cards, and 1070 is only 50% faster than the 290x. It's quite pitiful if you look at it this way, especially considering the fact that more and more people are moving away from traditional 1080p and onto higher res monitor or high refresh rate monitor.

Back
Top Bottom