• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

will it be any better

Soldato
sunderland said:
pastymuncher how about you give me your settings you had when yours was at 2.7 and maybe i have a bit of a idea were the best settings might be.i know not all are the same but its a start. cheers :D

Do what pastymuncher suggested and put your memory on the 166 divider. that'll lower your memory speed, up the HTT to 240, set multi to 10, set Vdimm stock, set timings to 2.5-3-3-7-2t and try that first, I reckon your memory spped is too high and its bombing out. With those settings I've quoted that should put your memory speed to stock speed (if my maths is correct). If that boots/runs fine, then reduce the 2t to 1t on the memory command rate and see if thats ok. If so, then you can up the HTT to 250 and that should give a memory speed of 208mhz and you should be able to at least run those original timings.

Associate
Second hand Vapochill and it will still be usefull when you do decide what to upgrade to next?

Or of course custom water cooling kit which could include you rather warm GPU?

Man of Honour
I did'nt mention a divider. Never use the damn things. Always run mine at 1:1.

Right then here are my settings for 2.795ghz. Same cpu, same mobo. The only difference is the ram and your timings are significantly worse than mine.

HTT multiplier dropped from 4x to 3x.
FSB multiplier* dropped from 12x to 11x.
FSB raised to 254.
Vcore (cpu voltage) maxxed out. Max on the Epox EP 8NPA sli is only +0.5v.
Vdimm (memory) up to 2.7v.
Timings** 3-3-3-5 1T

* To find the max FSB i could do with running the memory at 1:1 i dropped the multiplier right down to 9x and experimented with FSB and voltage and timings settings until i found out where the memory maxxed out. In my case it was 262mhz. :D Only adjust the fsb upwards by around 5mhz each time and then reboot and test for stability. If stable reboot and adjust upwards again and so on.

**My original overclock was done with 1GB of Crucial Value ram which is supposed to run at 3-3-3-8 1T at 200mhz. This sounded a bit much to me so i started playing around with the timings in the bios and got it down to 2.5-2-2-5 1T at 200mhz with no extra volts and 3-3-3-5 1T at 262mhz with 2.7v. It will run quite happily at 230mhz 3-3-3-5 1T with no extra voltage. Always run at 1T if possible as running at 2T gives a hell of a performance hit.

I am now running 2Gb of PNY PC3200 which uses Samsung UCCC chips :D and it will still hit my max overclock of 2.795Ghz at 3-3-3-5 1T @ 2.7v. It will only run at 200mhz with timings of 2.5-3-2-5 1T which is not quite as good but better than the 3-4-4-8 1T that it is supposed to run at. Have a play in the bios. There are millions of settings in there for the memory. If you have'nt got the latest bios then get it using Epox Magic Bios. December was the latest version. Set the row cycle time to 7T and Mem Bank Interleave to 4x which should improve performance an bit more. Running manual timings instead of auto should give you a nice performance boost.

My advice is to drop your multiplier way down and find out where your memory maxxes out. This was the key in my attempts. Once i knew where the memory maxxed out i could just drop the fsb back down to 200mhz, raise the multiplier back up to 11x and now that the next thing to max out was the cpu. That finally maxxed out at 2.795ghz. I have seen these on watercooling hit 3.2ghz though. I am shortly going to go watercooling. Got all the bits. Just need to find the time to strip everything down and get it all fitted.

Just a recap:-
11x254mhz with [email protected] and vcore@+0.5v 3-3-3-5 1T. HTT multi at 3x.

Be aware though i have a Thermaltake Aluminium Armour with excellent cooling. I have 1x120mm, 1x80mm front intake fans but also 2x Vantec Vortex hdd coolers sucking even more air in. The air from them is level with the cpu/memory slots. I also have 1x120mm, 2x92mm exhaust fans along with what the psu sucks through. I also have a huge SI-120 heatsink with a 120mm Thermaltake Thunderblade sitting on top of it and this also significantly cools the memory as it sits right over them.

Just remember that no two systems will run the same, no matter how similar they are. There are always differences in the cpu when fabricated. Just experiment with your fsb/multiplier/voltages and test for stability each time. Most important though is to take your time. Don't rush things. It took two days of increases and testing to find my max and that was around 8 hours a day. Have fun. :D

Back
Top Bottom