1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will the UK Gov get rid of DRM?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by ben_j_davis, 6 Jun 2006.

1. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/5041684.stm

We can only hope they do something, but i doubt it. At the moment all they seem to be suggesting is products are clearly labelled so customers know what they are buying.

Once the music and film companies release their lawyers and start babbling on about how their organisations have lost £100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 due to everyone in the UK pirating material, the Government will cave in like France did against Apple.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2006
  2. Visage

PermaBanned

No UK party will ever scrap DRM - such a policy would incur the wrath of content providers - who are inextricably linked to the newspapers, who ultimately decide who gets elected.

Can you see Uncle Rupe allowing the Sun and The Times to endorse any party with a policy that would allow Fox films to be freely pirated?

3. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

I just hope they reach a comprimise, these do happen. Look at the whole Video recorder thing, if the film companies had their way video recorders would have been illegal.

4. Berserker

Man of Honour

There will be compromise for sure. Just to demonstrate the point, a few US senators tried to push through a law that would (to loosely paraphrase) 'outlaw all devices that could be used for breaching copyright'.

Implement that, and it would have been bye bye technology age, hello stone age. :eek:

Trouble is, I suspect they're still trying (last I heard, they'd changed the wording, but the re-worded version still had pretty much the same outcome).

5. Dolph

Man of Honour

I have to say the idea proposed by the committee of forcing DRM using content providers to disclose exactly what you can and can't do with the product is a great idea.

The current situation is rather like removing all compatibility labelling computer products and putting PC, PS2 and Xbox games in a big pile....

6. crashuk

PermaBanned

drm well thats been broken and anything else they bring out.

Last edited: 6 Jun 2006
  7. Visage

PermaBanned

What?

All DRM has been broken?

Right you are.

8. crashuk

PermaBanned

Any copy protection they bring out only lasts 3 or 4 months then its broken, and there was a post about test and bring out new copy protection methods costs them a lot and is it really worth it.

9. Dolph

Man of Honour

Define broken? Sure you can copy just about anything with enough time and effort, but for the general public who don't want to have to deal with the hassle of breaking many DRM systems simply to play their legally purchased music on an IPOD (for example) it's a bit of a stretch for the general public (remember, standard OcUK is not representative of the general public disclaimer)

10. crashuk

PermaBanned

then dont buy the product if you cant copy it onto your ipod.

11. Dolph

Man of Honour

Which is the whole point of this thread.... clear labelling regarding whether or not you could do certain things (eg copy to your ipod.....)

:confused:

12. crashuk

PermaBanned

lol sorry

13. ben_j_davis

Wise Guy

I don't think any kind of software will ever stop people from copying music. If you can play the music you can copy it. Would takes a little longer to record a whole album, but no different from the time it tooks to transfer music to the old mini disc's. I.e. you actually had to sit there and record the music real-time onto the player.

14. techmonkey

Gangster

There's already software out now that gets past DRM protection anyway.

15. Visage

PermaBanned

Fixed for you ;)