1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will there be a lash back against touch screen phones?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Tablets' started by daz, 13 Oct 2009.

1. daz

Capodecina

Just been thinking about this. Touch screen phones are really good for a few tasks, but for others they can be incredibly tedious and battery life suffers against non-touch screen phones. Will touch screens get to the point where they're so good, we'll forget about using keys... or will people "serious" about email etc on their phone always use a phone with a keypad? [​IMG]

2. Marco_Nasty

Gangster

yeah and what happens when the touch screen stops working??

3. darkcooleo

Gangster

No never lol. I8910HD for ever !

4. PhillyDee

Capodecina

:confused:

What happens when a button stops working?
    Same problem.

There will be both sides of the market. I have a Nokia 5800 and happily get 4-5 days battery life from it. Mostly its never used for calls, usually texts. I have larger hands than most and cannot use most button phones now since they have shrunk the buttons to get in a bigger screen, I cannot even use a blackberry. The buttons are way to small and far too close together.

5. CliffyBiro

Caporegime

I don't like touch screens. They just don't seem to be that useful over good old buttons and they rarely work well enough.

6. Marco_Nasty

Gangster

Inherently buttons are more robust and simple, with touch screen you have a lot of things that can go wrong, software might have bugs in it and what if the screen gets cracked, more chance of that happening. I had a Sony Ericsson w960i and the touch screen was always intermittant, software/firmware problem.

7. Amp34

Caporegime

I think we will move back slightly in the future, there are certain things that do need keys, however keypads as such I think will become less and less popular.

For example keys on the side of phones should increase (both the iPhone and the Touch HD don't have enough buttons on the side, only volume) if they are to be used as music/camera devices. At the moment it's really only volume keys that are there but after having various SE K*** phones going to a phone you have to take out of your pocket and press the screen to pause is a pain, same with taking photos by pressing the touch screen.

One positive I can see about touch screen phones is the fact you can make them weather/water proof much easier, due to the lack of buttons and only entry post being the battery cover. In the past typing on a weatherproof devices keypad was a pain, now with touch screens it won't be any different.

8. krooton

Caporegime

Touch screen phones + qwerty keyboards is where it's at ;)

9. Marco_Nasty

Gangster

Yeah I agree, the new Nokia is awesome, but HTC have be doing that for years, plus I like HTC's platform

10. kam187

Gangster

11. Marco_Nasty

Gangster

yeah and then we will be controlling everything with the power of our minds, and then........ but we are talking about now!

12. RSR

Sgarrista

+ 2 :D

13. Amp34

Caporegime

I think gestures are actually a bit of a phase, it's all very well gesturing but if your phone is in your pocket you can't really shake it to change songs/skip tracks etc. If it's sensitive enough to do that then it will skip while you walk...

14. loltim

Capodecina

Not sure touch screen is suited to me. I like my HTC Touch Diamond but it does my head in when texting, might try a Nokia E72 next.

15. Marco_Nasty

Gangster

LOL :D

Very good I like it, imagine what you would look like in the street

16. Amp34

Caporegime

:D Never thought of that.

That explains why iPhone users are always called ******* .;)

(think they can use the occasional gesutre can they not?)

17. robgmun

Capodecina

+3

What are my choice these days?

I basically want an iphone with a slide out keyboard, i have an MDA 2 but the screen is a bit small and it's quite bulky

EDIT - Looks like The HTC Touch Pro2 fits the bill

Last edited: 13 Oct 2009
  18. Deep

Soldato

Ahh the phone that put me off Sony Ericssons for life. What a crap phone, I remember my touch screen would just stop working and wherever you pressed on the screen it would register that you pressed the top right hand corner which happened to be task manager. Eventually, the phone would just start working normally. Very strange.

Will probably not get a SE phone for a long time, bought a Nokia 5800 (was really worried about how the touch screen was going to be) but this it has been a brilliant phone!

19. darkcooleo

Gangster

Second Deep on the w960i, i now own the Samsung i8910HD

20. SpeedFreak

Soldato

Palm Pre?