Will these £400 ish components breath life into my old PC?

Associate
Hi All,

Looking for a little advice regarding a potential upgrade as my PC is starting to show it's age. I only really use it for browsing and some 1080p gaming on modest settings. As long as I can comfortably play WoW, Eve, GTAV and CoD MW i'm happy.

I think my CPU might be bottlenecked as I see it at 100% usually when gaming.

I currently have the below and want to keep the spend low as I don't really use this PC much:

CPU: i5 3470
GPU: GTX 580 8GB
RAM 8gb of dunno old stuff
2x 1TB HDD (5600rpm like)
750w PSU (yeah overkill but the old one popped so I upgraded)

I'm thinking of swapping for these:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3300x
Mobo: Gigabyte B450M DS3H
GPU: Keeping Current
RAM: 8GB HyperX DDR4
WD 500GB SSD

Would I notice a decent improvement in everyday use?

Thanks

Man of Honour
MMOs usually need plenty of memory and a fast drive (because of all the load screens, downloads, etc), so I'd consider just upgrading to 16GB and adding the SSD.

You can get ivy bridge Xeons fairly cheap (£40 - £70ish) like e3-1230 v2 or e3-1275 v2, which wouldn't require a new motherboard.

Associate
WD 500GB SSD

Would I notice a decent improvement in everyday use?

If it were me this is the single change I'd make - just make an SSD the boot drive; you will notice the difference.

I'd put the rest of the money under the mattress until you're ready to also upgrade the GPU.

Some fairly significant improvements are expected over the next 12-24 months and it would be a shame to miss out for no really noticeable upgrade on the CPU now.

What are you using the machine for mainly? That will help us guide you :) - edit:// you told us sorry! That's what happens when I multitask

Last edited:
Associate
MMOs usually need plenty of memory and a fast drive (because of all the load screens, downloads, etc), so I'd consider just upgrading to 16GB and adding the SSD.

You can get ivy bridge Xeons fairly cheap (£40 - £70ish) like e3-1230 v2 or e3-1275 v2, which wouldn't require a new motherboard.
This seems like the best advice, 16gb Ram is the sweet spot these days and pretty much every game is recommending it, it's not too expensive either.
As everyone else has said the SSD will be a huge upgrade

Soldato
Not sure if you have already brought anything yet but if not then I'd consider something like this.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £380.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Associate
Not sure if you have already brought anything yet but if not then I'd consider something like this.

Total: £380.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)
This is a great combo for the money!

Associate

Total: £380.46 (includes shipping: £10.50)
That should last you even if you decide to upgrade the GPU in a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom