Will this be worth o'c'ing?

Associate
I moved earlier this year to 754 from Socket A and have felt like a fish out of water...

I got sick of my MSI 6720 Neo board and splashed out on a NF3 250GB DFi Lanparty board and the following parts is what I have got...

Sempron 2800+ 256K L2 90nm with SSE3/Latest revision.
DFi Lanparty UT 250GB
GeForce 5900FX Ultra
Crucial Rendition 1GB CL3 RAM
Full Asetek Waterchill with Antarctica waterblocks with full cooling on CPU, GPU, Chipset, HDD's running through 1x120mm BlackIce Rad (rear) and 1x80mm BlackIce Rad (top), Eheim pump, XSPC Acrylic Reservoir.
Thermaltake 650W PSU.

Socket A was a breeze but this board is so damned complicated and being on low income I cannot afford to fry cpu after cpu in the pursuit of the fastest clock and so would ask what I would reasonably expect for modest gains and if anyone has any tips/how to's on how to go about this I would appreciate it...

Cheers

AO

Soldato
Well the DFi Lanparty UT 250GB was just about the best socket 754 motherboard for overclocking ever made so I'd say you are well set up to give it a try, especially with your cooling system.

Socket 754 Sempron CPUs are generally great for overclocking and some people have got some impressive results. The important thing is not to take the voltage on the CPU too high.

I can't see any reason why you shouldn't give it a try and see how it goes.

Hope this helps :)

Soldato
as above the 2800+ semprons are superb lil chips and can get up to around 2.7ghz if you are lucky and have a decent board to run off (which you have...good work)

Good luck and dont forget to post some results, been interestin to find out as i was considerin the sempron64 route, but parents offered to buy me 939 a64 bits for xmas .... :cool:

Ben

Associate
OP
I am running nTune at the mo' and already CBID and CPU-Z are showing running at 3600+.

I thought I would go the lazy route at first and see what nVidia can do on its own and give me time to understand the various mulitpliers involved with this setup.

Temp wise at last count of 2 something Ghz was about 27 degrees on the CPU and 30 on the chipset, nTune shoved the FX at 1241Mhz and it is running very well so far.

I will pst final screenshots when completed and what settings etc.

Cheers

AO

Back
Top Bottom