• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you pre-order or buy a Rocket Lake CPU?

Soldato
So Intel have the "budget market" in the bag because the low-end 6 cores from the previous gen are below £200, and AMD have no answer to that. lol OK.

Apart from the 6 core CPUs from their previous gen which are still readily available, of course, but no answer other than that.

Or the cheaper motherboards with extensive upgrade potential.

But no, no answer to Intel being "budget king".

Soldato
But no, no answer to Intel being "budget king"

They really are, a B560 with a 10400f or the newer 11400f if you want PCI-E 4.0 is the best performance per £ right now. The virtually unrestricted RAM speeds and opting to use a permanent turbo means they are offering what we were seeing from AMD with the 2600 when that was down at £120 with the cheaper B450's.

Soldato
@Journey indeed, I never disputed Intel being "budget king" right now, but rather that AMD doesn't have anything to counter with. Ryzen 3000 is still a thing, and the 3600 doesn't stop being awesome just because it's a generation old.

The virtually unrestricted RAM speeds and opting to use a permanent turbo...
Explain. I thought RAM speeds were locked now unless you used a Z series board? What's this "permanent turbo"? Clearly I've missed something recently.

Soldato
@Journey indeed, I never disputed Intel being "budget king" right now, but rather that AMD doesn't have anything to counter with. Ryzen 3000 is still a thing, and the 3600 doesn't stop being awesome just because it's a generation old.

Sadly though there isn't many places at retail you can buy the R5 3600 at anywhere near the price you could last year, and at 40-50% more expensive than a 10400f it's a hard choice unless you 100% plan to swap it out for something like a 5900x in a couple of years time to prolong the life of the system.

Explain. I thought RAM speeds were locked now unless you used a Z series board? What's this "permanent turbo"? Clearly I've missed something recently.

That all changed with the 5xx boards, the B/H chipsets now support OC of the RAM, above and beyond the nominal speed of 3200MHz, and as such are much more competitive than when stuck at 2666MHz. As for the boost speeds, pretty much every board manufacturer offers a BIOS setting/or several to increase TAU for PL1/PL2 and as such you can increase the base frequency to the max all core, pretty much all of the time with the correct cooling. Granted it will drink a great deal more power than when at stock, but the performance increase it offers make it competitive with the 10600K/11600K and way beyond what the R5 3600 can do, now they've freed the RAM.

As I've said in many thread 10400f/B560/16GB DDR4 3200MHz+ ~£250 will net you 90-99% of a 5600x for less than the cost of the CPU. It amazing how good of a deal it is now, it just took AMD to embarrass Intel for Intel to allow it to happen. :)

Soldato
When I looked for my son it was only a £20 more to get the z board and performance was much better and can be swapped out for a k at a later date.
This was prior to the B560/H570 being available, the Z series offer nothing now unless you are buying higher end K series CPU's or you need some of the features.

Associate
Literally what has been said by myself and a few others for a good while, but in this review they don't show you the CPU allowing to stretch its legs using the extra sustained power draw which makes it even more interesting. The 10400f at ~£120 is c

ram is unlocked on tbe b560 boards and they also allow you to lock all cores mine is set at 3992 mhz on all cores 24/7 does sometimes drop to 3989 so a second or two but hey

Soldato
This was prior to the B560/H570 being available, the Z series offer nothing now unless you are buying higher end K series CPU's or you need some of the features.

yeah it was last year, I didnt know they had unlocked ram without a z now.

I still think it's nice having the option to drop the k in at a later date if you can get a Z for not much more, I ran my 8400 for 2.5 years then dropped a 9700k in there.

Soldato
@Space Monkey just noticed your system specs, you must be the only person I have seen that has gone AMD graphics card with a new intel system, is that through choice or necessity(ie no 3080s available or no 5000 series available) ?

Soldato
@woppy101 not wanting to speak for him, he had the 10850K a long time before the GPU upgrade IIRC (2080 Ti, wasn't it?).

And arguably the 6800XT is a better card overall than the 3080 even if the latter actually existed.
It’s just an observation TBH and not something you see everyday, I was in two minds to try and pick up a 6900XT in place of my 3080

Man of Honour
@Space Monkey just noticed your system specs, you must be the only person I have seen that has gone AMD graphics card with a new intel system, is that through choice or necessity(ie no 3080s available or no 5000 series available) ?
Hi mate,

I researched the Intel vs AMD thing (at time time I had a 3900X) and was thinking of going to the new 5xxx series chips but started noticing a pattern of chip failures and other issues so decided to get the Intel which I'm super happy with, performs like a beast and runs cool.

Initially I had an Nvidia card as @LePhuronn mentioned but again noticed the AMDs were outperforming the 3080s, RT at this time in development doesn't interest me so it was a no brainer (plus lots more RAM).

The AMD I've received is a monster and it runs beautifully with the Intel CPU, so all in all I've got a system I love and performs great :)

Soldato
Hi mate,

I researched the Intel vs AMD thing (at time time I had a 3900X) and was thinking of going to the new 5xxx series chips but started noticing a pattern of chip failures and other issues so decided to get the Intel which I'm super happy with, performs like a beast and runs cool.

Initially I had an Nvidia card as @LePhuronn mentioned but again noticed the AMDs were outperforming the 3080s, RT at this time in development doesn't interest me so it was a no brainer (plus lots more RAM).

The AMD I've received is a monster and it runs beautifully with the Intel CPU, so all in all I've got a system I love and performs great :)
Nice one mate;), I wasn’t picking, just observing. I really do fancy giving a 6900XT a blast and have hovered over they buy button a few times when drops have appeared but then remembered it would require a new monitor as well(gsync).
Are you watercooled or air cooled?

Man of Honour
Nice one mate;), I wasn’t picking, just observing. I really do fancy giving a 6900XT a blast and have hovered over they buy button a few times when drops have appeared but then remembered it would require a new monitor as well(gsync).
Are you watercooled or air cooled?
I'm all air cooled this time around, which I'm actually enjoying as every time I need to change something it's far less hassle :p

My CPU idles at around 27/28c and the GPU idles around 36c so it's silent and cool.

The AMD Radeon control panel/software is light years above the Nvidia, nicer to use

Soldato
I'm all air cooled this time around, which I'm actually enjoying as every time I need to change something it's far less hassle :p

My CPU idles at around 27/28c and the GPU idles around 36c so it's silent and cool.

The AMD Radeon control panel/software is light years above the Nvidia, nicer to use
Think I might give it a few months to let the product flow stabilise and give the 6000 series a try

Back
Top Bottom