• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you pre-order or buy a Rocket Lake CPU?

Soldato
I've never seen the 10850k that cheap and been looking for months for one even on well known price daily check sites so god knows where you get your figures from the cheapest I've seen is 375

The 10850K can be had for around 365 at the moment but that is the cheapest it’s ever been from anyone reputable as far as I can see.
Point me at one for 300 and the cash is waiting !

Same here - I'd have one at £300 - but cant find at anywhere for less than £368 that I'd trust my card details to!

Soldato
OP
Read this chaps:
https://chipsandcheese.com/2021/03/15/rocket-lake-when-reviews-are-really-previews/

TLDR

There may be problems caused by the microcode that affect the 11700k's 'uncore' / cache frequency, if so, the results of the 11700k Anandtech article may have been impacted.

Probably needs to be tested again with a fixed cache frequency on all tested CPUs, may need improved microcode.

Some games can benefit significantly from higher 'uncore' /CPU cache frequency, example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5gDBmPEwOM&t=474s

Last edited:
Soldato
Read this chaps:
https://chipsandcheese.com/2021/03/15/rocket-lake-when-reviews-are-really-previews/

TLDR

There may be problems caused by the microcode that affect the 11700k's 'uncore' / cache frequency, if so, the results of the 11700k Anandtech article may have been impacted.

Probably needs to be tested again with a fixed cache frequency on all tested CPUs, may need improved microcode.

Some games can benefit significantly from higher 'uncore' /CPU cache frequency, example here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5gDBmPEwOM&t=474s

Haha, Intel has already released new microcode that tripled the L3 cache frequency , it improved gaming performance by less than 1%

Soldato
OP
It would be interesting to see how well it performs with the 'Uncore' / Cache frequency set to the same frequency as the CPU core frequency.

This guy has the cache frequency (North bridge clock) running at 3.8Ghz, with the clock frequency at 4.9Ghz.
https://i.redd.it/cfzzqdevivk61.png

I'm not quite sure what to think, as the RAM latency in the above test is about the same as my i7 4770K, at 50.3ns...

Last edited:
Associate
i dont know why if you a gamer or even a average user there is literally no difference. the funny thing is right now intel offers the better value. people making out for eg 5800x is a god like chip its barely any quicker than a intel offering and dearer. this forum is pro amd so its to be expected. do research before buying anything. 10 series cpus are amazing performance for the money far better than anything amd wise.

budget gamer 10400
avg decent spec gamer 10700k
higher end 10850k

nothing amd is close . also a lot dearer.

When the performance was the other way round you were saying to buy intel, how come?

Edit: And Intel's pricing was dearer

Soldato
I indeed find that absolutely hilarious too

when Intel had the top gaming performance but were more expensive, Intel fans just went on and on about how best performance is all that matters, price and power draw doesn't matter. Now that AMD is the best, suddenly now value for money is super duper important to Intel fans. Basically all a bunch of two faces

Soldato
But only if you have access to Dg's mystical time machine to access Dg's mystical pricing.

To be fair, all he needs to do is stop being hyperbolic with the pricing and availability of that pricing, and people could maybe take some of what he says seriously. :D

Personally I think it's hard to beat the 10700K if you must have an 8c/16t CPU at the £270-80 that it seems to sell for as of now, for me I'd probably opt for the 5600X, as I know you can drop in a 5800X, 5900X, 5950X if/when the 5600X doesn't do what you needed it to, but you are stranded with something not a great deal better on the 10th Gen platform.

Caporegime
Yeh there Intel's dg specials by the look of it I've never seen the 10700k at 250 either

so....thats my fault? they have been as low as that numerous times.

honestly no bias why would anyone buy a 300 quid 6 core over a i will be fair with the price 270 - 300 8 core ? its obvious the 6 core will need changing far sooner than the i7 10700k option. there isnt any performance difference. you get it cheaper more longevity and use out of it with less issues for a cheaper price. :confused:

Associate

honestly no bias why would anyone buy a 300 quid 6 core over a i will be fair with the price 270 - 300 8 core ? its obvious the 6 core will need changing far sooner than the i7 10700k option. there isnt any performance difference. you get it cheaper more longevity and use out of it with less issues for a cheaper price. :confused:

So how come you used to say buy intel and not AMD, when the AMD was a few percent less performance but much cheaper

Soldato

yeh
10700k at your now real price is a good buy and one i would have no issues with reccomending as its a decent chip

And the 10850k has never been 300 mate maybe another varient has but not k

Caporegime
So how come you used to say buy intel and not AMD, when the AMD was a few percent less performance but much cheaper

i have amd pcs. i have intel pcs. brand is not important. i just buy what works for what i do for the best value bang for buck. amd cpus are good. never said they wernt. they are over priced and if being honest you have more hassle than with a intel chip while owning one.

amd were close but the price of intel chips was very similar yet they were faster. add in the above about owning amd cpus is often more stressful than a intel cpu. there was no real point in buying them. right now there is.....but they are over priced. so they have a amazing range of cpus all over priced ! due to stock gouging and the current world situation. thats not amds fault but...it does sour what would be a amazing line of cpus.

Associate
i have amd pcs. i have intel pcs. brand is not important. i just buy what works for what i do for the best value bang for buck. amd cpus are good. never said they wernt. they are over priced and if being honest you have more hassle than with a intel chip while owning one.

amd were close but the price of intel chips was very similar yet they were faster. add in the above about owning amd cpus is often more stressful than a intel cpu. there was no real point in buying them. right now there is.....but they are over priced. so they have a amazing range of cpus all over priced ! due to stock gouging and the current world situation. thats not amds fault but...it does sour what would be a amazing line of cpus.

Yes AMD is stressful, I hear they also cause migraines, back pain and even flu symptoms. *shakes fist at AMD*

Won't someone do something about the AMD menance?

Back
Top Bottom