• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you pre-order or buy a Rocket Lake CPU?

Soldato
Funny thing is that hardware unboxed shows that if you have a new Nvidia gpu you must have one of the newest faster cpu to power it otherwise amd gpu is faster. There are still a lot of people with old Intel cpu who just bought a new Nvidia gpu when actually they'd be getting much more performance with and AMD gpu

Soldato
Funny thing is that hardware unboxed shows that if you have a new Nvidia gpu you must have one of the newest faster cpu to power it otherwise amd gpu is faster. There are still a lot of people with old Intel cpu who just bought a new Nvidia gpu when actually they'd be getting much more performance with and AMD gpu

Aye but I think it'll prove easy and cheap for them to upgrade to a 5600 or 5800 on b550 platform to leverage the best gpu perf
I was surprised as how bad the driver overhead is for older CPU, shows the GPu upgrade isn't what they should be looking for first

Associate
I'm not upgrading and still running an i7 7700k paired with an RTX 3070 and 1440p and 2160p gaming has been relatively fine although theirs definitely a slight bottleneck.

Think I'll most likely just wait another year before doing a substantial upgrade anyway due to the prices, picked my 3070 up for 500 though.., was extremely lucky!.

Permabanned
I'm not upgrading and still running an i7 7700k paired with an RTX 3070 and 1440p and 2160p gaming has been relatively fine although theirs definitely a slight bottleneck.

Think I'll most likely just wait another year before doing a substantial upgrade anyway due to the prices, picked my 3070 up for 500 though.., was extremely lucky!.

I need to be more like this. What sort of FPS are you getting?

Permabanned
I won’t be upgrading my 10900k for a good while. I’m interested in Alder Lake, but must resist. DDR5 will not be established enough and would be too expensive for what improvements I would see over DDR4, so going to hold out until the new 4000 series are released and just sell my full system and buy a whole new one.

Soldato

If your happy with the occasional lag spike then I guess it's okay.. As a 6700k owner, I find several newer game titles have areas (usually around cities, where more NPC's spawn etc) where all 4 core get saturated and the GPU chokes (even at 4k). Moving a 6 or 8 core CPU completely eliminates these frame drops.

Soldato
OP
My upgrade from 4770F to 10700KF (preowned) was pretty damn cheap, total cost ~£210, because I sold my old parts for £200.

I think the upgrade from low spec DDR3 to decent DDR4 is worth it... and a doubling of CPU core count in my case.

My dad had some spare thermal paste, I used the same super old Hyper 212 Evo cooler, plus my brother's old mid tower case.

The cooler keeps the CPU (~4.7ghz all cores) at 80 degrees or under in stress testing (tested with hyperthreading off). Probably could run with HT on with a new cooler.

I'm glad I didn't spend more to get a 10900F, pretty sure the cooler couldn't handle it.

The build went pretty smoothly, except for fitting the hyper 212, it's always a pain to install because you need to get the holes correctly aligned on both sides of the mobo, before tightening the screws.

I'm testing to see if the DDR4000mhz RAM will run at 4133mhz + XMP profile (reviewer managed this), no luck on 1.45v, so testing with 1.490v (HWinfo reports as 1.480v) - Is that a safe voltage for DDR4?

Last edited:
Associate
hello i want to preoder the i9 11900k on overclockers uk but i live in france so i want to know if i'm gona pay any fee to dhl ?

thank you

Soldato
My upgrade from 4770F to 10700KF (preowned) was pretty damn cheap, total cost ~£210, because I sold my old parts for £200.

I think the upgrade from low spec DDR3 to decent DDR4 is worth upgrading for... and a doubling of CPU core count in my case.

My dad had some spare thermal paste, I used the same super old Hyper 212 Evo cooler, plus my brother's old mid tower case.

The cooler keeps the CPU (~4.7ghz all cores) at 80 degrees or under in stress testing (tested with hyperthreading off). Probably could run with HT on with a new cooler.

I'm glad I didn't spend more to get a 10900F, pretty sure the cooler couldn't handle it.

The build went pretty smoothly, except for fitting the hyper 212, it's always a pain to install because you need to get the holes correctly aligned on both sides of the mobo, before tightening the screws.

I'm testing to see the DDR4000mhz RAM will run at 4133mhz + XMP profile (reviewer managed this), no luck on 1.45v, so testing with 1.490v (HWinfo reports as 1.480v) - Is that a safe voltage for DDR4?
I've had LPX @ 1.50v no issues, 3600 to 4000.

Associate
If your happy with the occasional lag spike then I guess it's okay.. As a 6700k owner, I find several newer game titles have areas (usually around cities, where more NPC's spawn etc) where all 4 core get saturated and the GPU chokes (even at 4k). Moving a 6 or 8 core CPU completely eliminates these frame drops.
Moving to a 6 or 8 core sounds like you are recommending a 5600X or 5800X

Associate
Not particularly impressed with what I've seen from the 11700k reviews/leaks so far - but I'm not looking to replace my 8700k any time soon anyway, it still pulls its weight.

I only see refreshed versions of 10th Gen i3s, are true 11th Gen i3s expected sometime? My father's 3570k hand-me-down office PC is getting flaky and an 11th Gen i3 looks like it could be a decent enough replacement (it's unfortunate Ryzen 4xxx APUs seem almost impossible to get for reasonable prices as that would be a good choice too).

Soldato
I'm testing to see if the DDR4000mhz RAM will run at 4133mhz + XMP profile (reviewer managed this), no luck on 1.45v, so testing with 1.490v (HWinfo reports as 1.480v) - Is that a safe voltage for DDR4?
Depends on the actual memory chips. It's safe to daily 1.5V with Samsung B-Die and Micron Rev. E for sure, but on some other ICs it's not. Corsair use every IC under the sun in their products, but they have a version number on the sticks (and probably the packaging) that will tell you what chips are inside. Just do a search for it and you'll find lists of which version numbers correspond to which ICs.

Soldato
OP
Depends on the actual memory chips. It's safe to daily 1.5V with Samsung B-Die and Micron Rev. E for sure, but on some other ICs it's not. Corsair use every IC under the sun in their products, but they have a version number on the sticks (and probably the packaging) that will tell you what chips are inside. Just do a search for it and you'll find lists of which version numbers correspond to which ICs.

My BIOS says the manufacturer of the modules is Samsung (For Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Steel).

Associate
Unless the pricing is really good, don't see the point. There are some good deals to be had on the 10th generation intel CPUs though. In the early review posted by Anandtech and GN not looking good.

Back
Top Bottom