• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will you pre-order or buy a Rocket Lake CPU?

Soldato
My BIOS says the manufacturer of the modules is Samsung (For Patriot Extreme Performance Viper Steel).
Oh, you have one of those Patriot kits. In which case, yes, it's definetly B-Die, so go nuts. Many would say even 1.6V is safe to daily on B-Die, but keeping it cool enough becomes a problem at that point, as it's very temperature-sensitive (unlike Micron Rev. E, which doesn't care).

Associate
If your kit is 4000mhz or higher they will be b-die according to my google skills. Great memory kit if so!

Generally, unless you use the B-die finder for your specific kit, you either need to remove the heat spreader, or use Typhoon burner to check.
Micron E-die and others are capable fof 4000+. It's the combination of speed and primary latencies that normally give B-die away, but it's only worth it if you overclock, as I believe one of the advantages of B-side is that some key settings (subtiming) are linear with voltage.

Associate
Now that the reviews are out, why would anyone pay £550 for a 11900k when the 5800x for £420 is better in almost every aspect

Pathological hatred of AMD? Obsessed with having the latest? One of the few people who actually benefit from AVX?

Everyone's free to spend their money as they please, at the end of the day if efficiency isn't a factor at all most people won't notice the difference between the top end CPUs and the prices are pretty close too.

Associate
£420 for the 5800x and £550 for the 11900k... crikey. I suppose a fool and their money are easily parted. Neither are worth their asking price, the intel at £550 for 8 cores which are all slower than the competition is particularly dreadful value though. Still, they will likely sell out regardless and as with all the negative press the 5800x pricing got, if it's a drop in upgrade, then it's an easier pill to swallow if not also having to fork out for a motherboard.

Associate
£420 for the 5800x and £550 for the 11900k... crikey. I suppose a fool and their money are easily parted. Neither are worth their asking price, the intel at £550 for 8 cores which are all slower than the competition is particularly dreadful value though. Still, they will likely sell out regardless and as with all the negative press the 5800x pricing got, if it's a drop in upgrade, then it's an easier pill to swallow if not also having to fork out for a motherboard.

The negativity around teh 5800X pricing does make me smile when you now consider the price of the 11900K. Thing is the people critising the price of the 5800x are now the ones buying 11900K

Associate
The negativity around teh 5800X pricing does make me smile when you now consider the price of the 11900K. Thing is the people critising the price of the 5800x are now the ones buying 11900K

Yup, AMD got a hammering over the pricing on the 5800x pretty much everywhere, which is fair to a degree, but lets face it, the majority of people bleating on about the price had zero intention of buying one (at the risk of falling short and saying Intel fans lol). So sure, it was expensive and at anything over £400 I had zero intention of buying one, but like a lot of AMD platform users, I bought in nearer the start when I got the 2700x (then 3900x to 5800x...). I paid a great price on my x470 board and it's served me with x3 generations of CPU with 2 being simple drop in upgrades. Whilst I can't justify over £400 for an 8 core CPU, I can certainly see why other people see value in it still.

On the flip side though you have intel charging £550 for an equal core count direct competitor that for some will be a drop in upgrade, but there's no denying it's value is non-existent when it's actually slower than it's direct competitor and not only that, slower than a 6 core counterpart which can be had around £250. You could literally buy a motherboard, 5600x and RAM for the price of the 11900k and also have a faster gaming system (which the majority of people will be buying these for if we're being realistic) that doesn't require exotic cooling. Intel would have been better off releasing the 11900k whilst it was still winter when people ran their heating 24/7, at least there would be some value in it then.

Soldato
9900k still a great setup. If I had that I'd likely keep for a few more years.

My 6700k however is on it's last legs, so 11900k time tomorrow :)

£500+ for this and you plan to keep it for good while correct ? Feel you'll regret it in 6-12 months time no doubt

I currently have i7 6700k only upgrade path I'd take is AMD if I were to upgrade now but think just gonna hold out for next gen

Soldato
£500+ for this and you plan to keep it for good while correct ? Feel you'll regret it in 6-12 months time no doubt

I currently have i7 6700k only upgrade path I'd take is AMD if I were to upgrade now but think just gonna hold out for next gen

I'll not be keeping my 11900k setup for anywhere near as long as I kept my 6700k setup. I've landed a nice promotion at work a few months back, so more disposable income to play with fun toys :)

I'll not regret my purchase, as it'll do everything I require of it. I'm only really upgrading as my 6700k heavily bottlenecks modern games, where 4C8T just aren't enough. Cyberpunk, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, are examples of games where I literally get drops to 20-30 FPS (from an average of > 80-100 depending on the scene). CPU usage during these spikes is 100% across all cores.

I game at 4k on a CX48 OLED where the GPU is the bottleneck (as long as you have more than 4 cores lol!) , so I'd not notice whether I had a 5950X, 11900k or 9900k, as they all have > 4 cores.

4 m.2 slots on the Maximus Hero XIII is also a feature I specifically wanted - no more SATA cables, means several 2TB SSD's is sufficient for my storage requirements, for anything I don't keep on my NAS.

Soldato
I'll not be keeping my 11900k setup for anywhere near as long as I kept my 6700k setup. I've landed a nice promotion at work a few months back, so more disposable income to play with fun toys :)

I'll not regret my purchase, as it'll do everything I require of it. I'm only really upgrading as my 6700k heavily bottlenecks modern games, where 4C8T just aren't enough. Cyberpunk, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, are examples of games where I literally get drops to 20-30 FPS (from an average of > 80-100 depending on the scene). CPU usage during these spikes is 100% across all cores.

I game at 4k on a CX48 OLED where the GPU is the bottleneck (as long as you have more than 4 cores lol!) , so I'd not notice whether I had a 5950X, 11900k or 9900k, as they all have > 4 cores.

4 m.2 slots on the Maximus Hero XIII is also a feature I specifically wanted - no more SATA cables, means several 2TB SSD's is sufficient for my storage requirements, for anything I don't keep on my NAS.

Well done on the promotion but that still doesn't excuse about spending poorly Maximus Hero XIII is around £450 and add i9 rocket £500+ that's way to much imo Don't see why would anyone buy it over AMD also that power usage with boost enabled that's just crazy shows how bad staying on 14nm has caught up slacking off

You can buy AMD boards cheaper with 3 pci 4.0 slots for around £260 and these are high end and if you really need 4 nvme drives can buy PCI adapter maybe If in the future more cores are needed you have option of 12 and 16 cores stock issues won't be forever

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Well done on the promotion but that still doesn't excuse about spending poorly Maximus Hero XIII is around £450 and add i9 rocket £500+ that's way to much imo Don't see why would anyone buy it over AMD also that power usage with boost enabled that's just crazy shows how bad staying on 14nm has caught up slacking off

You can buy AMD boards cheaper with 3 pci 4.0 slots and if you really need 4 nvme drives can buy PCI adapter
Agreed, it's madness to get Intel at this stage. Second hand 9th or 10th gen would be a better bet if it absolutely must be Intel.

Associate
Really disappointed in the 11900k, but really glad I went with the 10900k instead. I purchased the Asus Z590 Hero Motherboard and was all geared towards getting the 11900k, but all the negativity around it put me off and I went with the 10900k instead. I was a bit disappointed not being able to make use of PCie 4 but the benchmarks speak for themselves.

Soldato

You can buy AMD boards cheaper with 3 pci 4.0 slots for around £260 and these are high end and if you really need 4 nvme drives can buy PCI adapter maybe If in the future more cores are needed you have option of 12 and 16 cores stock issues won't be forever

Lets just both agree, a 11900k is much faster than our crappy old 6700K's. What are you upgrading to? Whatever you pick, I wish you the best with it. I'm not one of those people who feel the need to critique other people's purchasing decisions.

Pick what you want to buy, buy it, and enjoy :)

Soldato
Lets just both agree, a 11900k is much faster than our crappy old 6700K's. What are you upgrading to? Whatever you pick, I wish you the best with it. I'm not one of those people who feel the need to critique other people's purchasing decisions.

Pick what you want to buy, buy it, and enjoy :)

If I was gonna upgrade today would be to the 5800x plenty stock and seen it for £380 to go with MSI MEG X570 UNIFY £265 which has three m.2 pcie 4.0 slots or msi x570 tomahawk which goes for £190-£210 but has 2 m.2 pcie 4.0 slots

But with it being the end for this socket trying to hold out what next gen brings also with lack of GPU stock and over pricing I wouldn't see much gain for what I use for it currently

Back
Top Bottom