Williams F1 team sold

Soldato
Did this deal include all the old historic F1 cars I wonder? Because if they’ve got that as part of the deal I doubt they’d change the team name. Surely they’d want to keep that going and grow the collection.

Man of Honour
Did this deal include all the old historic F1 cars I wonder? Because if they’ve got that as part of the deal I doubt they’d change the team name. Surely they’d want to keep that going and grow the collection.

I believe so, they were already collateral for a loan from Latifi's family earlier this year as well as the factories and the like.

Soldato
Looks like the Williams family were offered the opportunity to stay on (what they are saying to the press) and it was their choice to step away. Probably better than being pushed at the end of the season.

Racefans had an article recently about the sale trying to dig in to find the new owners with some interesting links.

In my opinion, this was all done in the board room when they sold, even them handing over the reins now. They were never going to keep the Williams at the helm given the recent (years) run, and I would be very surprised if it wasn't a condition of sale. Dorilton have said they will provide clarity on who will take over the day to day before next weekend, so clearly someone is standing in the wings.

You can see from the comments from Claire in the past that they never wanted to leave the team, and she said in a Sky interview that she wanted to stay at the helm.

I know it's a bit of a romantic story of them leaving on their own accord and "walking away", but in a business sense the Williams family involvement in running the team doesn't predict success and hasn't done for years, and so any buyer would be mad to keep them running things. They were pushed (or forced to resign if you prefer that language).

In a lot of businesses, when acquired, a long handover with maintaining the status quo is beneficial for a number of reasons. But given the last few years and static regs for next year, it makes sense to make the changes now, mid season, use the rest of the season to get the lay of the land, and then they still have a year next year to sus things out before the big reg change.

Caporegime
It's crazy to think these are the second most successful team in F1 ever and only 20 odd years ago had the pick of the best drivers in the world. Hopefully the Williams name stays and the new owners can rebuild the brand.

Let's be honest Williams haven't been at the sharp end since the Montoya days.

Soldato
It's crazy to think these are the second most successful team in F1 ever and only 20 odd years ago had the pick of the best drivers in the world. Hopefully the Williams name stays and the new owners can rebuild the brand.

Aren't they 3rd behind Ferrari and McLaren? There's a good chance that Mercedes will go past them this year as well.

V F

V F

Soldato

It's sad Williams ended up like that Super Aguri F1 team.

Man of Honour
There seems to be a few Youtubers talking of the new team owners going back on a promise to keep George Russell for 2021 :o
the rumour has it that Perez will take his seat and for a couple of reasons... he's a lot more experienced, and brings a bundle of cash with him
i guess the cash situation is why Latifi would stay as he also brings lots of it with him

Soldato
Cash isn't always key, with an investment firm your interests are also boosting the connections for your other investors including technology tie-ups, access to new markets etc. It's about getting people in a room together talking business while a car is pointlessly doing laps on the other side of a champagne and canape hosted event. Cash into a team is just a bonus, the connections are more valuable.

Caporegime
There seems to be a few Youtubers talking of the new team owners going back on a promise to keep George Russell for 2021 :o
the rumour has it that Perez will take his seat and for a couple of reasons... he's a lot more experienced, and brings a bundle of cash with him
i guess the cash situation is why Latifi would stay as he also brings lots of it with him

If true it doesn't exactly paint a good picture of the new owners. I can't imagine Mercedes would be best impressed either, I can't imagine letting your engine supplier down like that is a great idea.

Soldato
OP
Cash isn't always key, with an investment firm your interests are also boosting the connections for your other investors including technology tie-ups,

Perez brings a lot of Mexican connections, doesn't he? The new owners are North American so making connections south of the border is good business. And Perez has the billionairee Carlos Slim's patronage, doesn't he? But I'd give Latifi, not Russell, the push as he hasn't really performed.

Back
Top Bottom