Williams F1 Team up for Sale

Soldato
I think a lot of what is missing now is the sense of excitement more than the racing. You can have good racing and good races with any set of rules in the right circumstances. What sets the past from the present is the sense of what might happen at any point.

In the 80s, 90s and earlier than that, there was always unpredictability. An engine could pop at any point and change the race (much more unlikely now with a billion sensors) but more than anything the cars looked on edge. Look at Hockenheim or Monza from the 80s or 90s - the cars weren't driving in a straight line, they were twitching and bouncing along the straights. It looked terrifying and difficult. All that has gone from F1 now.

You've just described modern cars too.

Too capable, too expensive, too much to go wrong, and not exciting enough compared to the stuff from the 80s and 90s :D

Man of Honour
OP
I've always thought of Racing Point effectively bring the Merc Junior team now, more so given the upcoming Aston rebrand and the close links between the Merc and Aston companies.

I believe Williams have a Mercedes engine deal long-term but I wondered if they would keep it with McLaren going back in 2021, supporting 4 teams seems a lot although fewer engines physically used these days I guess.

Soldato
Racing Point have always taken the rear assembly from Merc, Williams refused to take the Merc gearbox even though it was smaller and a lot lighter (CF) than their own unit because they've always wanted to see themselves as a constructor instead of taking half the car from someone else. Merc have supplied 4 teams in the past quite a few times, I'm more concerned with Renault only having the one team. Red Bull are locked in with their two teams and Honda, Alfa and HAAS are Ferrari to the core. AM and McLaren have their links with Merc so the only other "free agent" to change supply would be Williams, but why get rid of the only part of the team which is performing.

Man of Honour
OP
Racing Point have always taken the rear assembly from Merc, Williams refused to take the Merc gearbox even though it was smaller and a lot lighter (CF) than their own unit because they've always wanted to see themselves as a constructor instead of taking half the car from someone else. Merc have supplied 4 teams in the past quite a few times, I'm more concerned with Renault only having the one team. Red Bull are locked in with their two teams and Honda, Alfa and HAAS are Ferrari to the core. AM and McLaren have their links with Merc so the only other "free agent" to change supply would be Williams, but why get rid of the only part of the team which is performing.

I suppose Engine Cost is potentially the only reason; although I'd imagine they're getting some discount for running George Russell; unless Renault offered them a proper works deal I'm not sure why they would bother switching as you say.

Caporegime
I suppose Engine Cost is potentially the only reason; although I'd imagine they're getting some discount for running George Russell; unless Renault offered them a proper works deal I'm not sure why they would bother switching as you say.

It would certainly save them money, Renault could benefit from another car running for data, but being that Cyril has come out and said they don't plan on any engine upgrades this season I'm unsure why they'd need one. And how much would Williams performance suffer?

Soldato
Claire was part of the C4 quali highlight broadcast. Said they were considering lots of things an that they've had good interest so far. Hopefully it turns good for them.

Just need to get the Gates Foundation, Carlos Slim, or Jeff Bezos interested in F1. I suppose Slim already is with Perez. I really don't like Claire, or Patrick (both of them) that much. Obviously something has been badly wrong for long time now, yet they never seem to do anything differently.

Back
Top Bottom