Win7 internet network connection problems

Associate
Grats Heffer23

The fix you found is a bit weird, but as long as it works its all good. :)

Just a gen add to your earlier querry.

If your router connects to a cable modem or settop box you essentialy take the cable from that device and connect it straight to your pc. Then turn the box/modem off, give it about 10 sec and turn it on again.

Seems a bit strange but Ive come across a few systems over the years that have had issues working via a router but connect fine via a direct connection to the modem.

Associate
OP
Seems a bit strange but Ive come across a few systems over the years that have had issues working via a router but connect fine via a direct connection to the modem.

Isn't a router just to manage a network, modem (adsl) is for gateway - mine is both and a firewall? Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

If your router connects to a cable modem or settop box you essentialy take the cable from that device and connect it straight to your pc. Then turn the box/modem off, give it about 10 sec and turn it on again.

I've tried this many times.... with no effect at all unfortunately. I think connecting to my friends PC/router changed and allocated IP via DHCP - which then refreshed when I connected it back at my house. However I don't think the problem is resolved fully....just disappeared temporarily.
If someone finds a 100% fix I'd be very greatful :(

Associate
Isn't a router just to manage a network, modem (adsl) is for gateway - mine is both and a firewall? Please let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

It depends on your type of broadband connection.

ADSL Broadband = via the phoneline, in this case you usualy only have the 1 modem/router connecting to your telephone socket via a Filter that has 2 connections, one for the modem/router and one for the phone.

Cable BB = via a cable modem usualy with a white coax cable going directly into a wall socket.

In this case you still have to use the origional cable modem or settop box even if you do get a router.

I've tried this many times.... with no effect at all unfortunately. I think connecting to my friends PC/router changed and allocated IP via DHCP - which then refreshed when I connected it back at my house. However I don't think the problem is resolved fully....just disappeared temporarily.
If someone finds a 100% fix I'd be very greatful :(

If this did fix it then you might find the following usefull.

Start > Run > CMD

If you dont have run you can usualy get the command prompt windows via all programs and accessories.

Ipconfig /flushdns
Ipconfig /renew

Associate
OP
Cheers Tarnblade,

I'm BT phoneline so the first one then :)

If this did fix it then you might find the following usefull.
Start > Run > CMD
If you dont have run you can usualy get the command prompt windows via all programs and accessories.
Ipconfig /flushdns
Ipconfig /renew

What will this little gem do?

Soldato
It seems your DNS got a little confused and when you connected it to your mates computer it had to renew its DNS anyway.

That will basically reset your connection so that it thinks its being connected to a new network. It will forget its current DNS config and renegotiate.

Associate
What Gord said.

: )

Ipconfig /flushdns <- when you use this command it should come up with a message letting you know if it did it sucessfuly.

The ipconfig /renew <- simply trys to renew your ip address/default gateway and often gives a more specific error if there is somthing going wrong. Which can in turn help you resolve the issue.

Associate
OP
Hi guys,
Internet still working, touch wood.

Anyway, quick question I didn't have time last night but do I do the Ipconfig /flushdns & renew Now as in while the internet is still working or is it for in case it goes down again?

Also is that Ipconfig(space)/flushdns - no space between forward slash & flushdns?

Never been in CMD before......... can you tell :)

Associate
OP
Cheers sinque....... consider myself whipped with birch twigs & 12 hail marys....um.... hailed :)
Will keep you guys posted on status of tinternet over next few days.
Still no 100% fix though confirmmed....... unless above works (hopefully I won't have to find out)

Soldato
Its not something I would consider needing a fix. Only if it becomes a frequent occurrence, and even then, its not happening to everyone so I would consider something like a reinstall.

Out of interest, had you tried rebooting the router? I think that could also fix the issue. I always restart mine when something network related goes wrong.

Associate
OP
Out of interest, had you tried rebooting the router? I think that could also fix the issue. I always restart mine when something network related goes wrong.

Yeah tied that one several times, with no effect to connection issue.

Will be interesting to see if this latest update from windows has had any effect.

Anyway, we'll leave it at that unless it happens again.

Will keep you posted

Many thanks for all the help though guys.

Back
Top Bottom