win7 sluggish flash performance compared to apple macs?

Associate
If you're after a fast browser, why are you using Firefox?
Have you installed the ABP add-in? It blocks all the annoying adverts.
Firefox is a greedy bugger! If it's been running for a while, have a look in task manager and see how much memory it's using/hogging!!

Soldato
If you're after a fast browser, why are you using Firefox?
Have you installed the ABP add-in? It blocks all the annoying adverts.
Firefox is a greedy bugger! If it's been running for a while, have a look in task manager and see how much memory it's using/hogging!!

Firefox 7 have fixed those issues. It's now using a lot less now: http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/6/309174/original/memuse40tabswbgp7.png

It could be because the air is using an SSD and is using that for pagefiling, I'm assuming you only have normal HDDs installed on your PC?

Associate
Firefox 7 have fixed those issues. It's now using a lot less now: http://media.bestofmicro.com/K/6/309174/original/memuse40tabswbgp7.png

Just upgraded my laptop to version 7 and opened and closed loads of pages. I must admit that it does seem to be a lot better. I had about 20 tabs open. Closed all but one. Open another load and closed them. The memory usage seems to be a lot better.
TBH I've been using firefox for years as memory usage isn't really an issue for me (it's just annoying that it used to use so much) :)

Associate
An SSD will make no difference at all to Flash smoothness for things llike animations and page scrolling. And Flash dont use the GPU for anything but video so your GPU wont do anything here for scrolling. Maybe try the Flash Player 11 release candidate? That can use the GPU for all graphics now, but the content has to be made to use it, it wont automatically work. If it's the browsers scroll bar you mean though, and not a scroll bar inside Flash, thens it's likely the browser or a add-on.
It's odd though, because Flash, like most things, is known to usually run worse on Macs.

Back
Top Bottom