Winamp: individual tracks in a single long MP3

Associate
I listen to a lot of DJ sets and they always come in one long MP3. But it's a bit annoying when a good tune comes up and I want to check what it is, cause Winamp can't show it.

So what I want to know is, is there a way to name individual tracks in a long MP3 (storing the info in a different file) so that whenever a song comes up it will show the correct name? I wouldn't mind going through the sets naming the tunes as I have tracklistings for most.

Does anyone know what I mean?

Last edited:
Associate
I use a thing called "ces Amarok" plugin. It has index files for most of the Mike Oldfield stuff and some classical stuff. You can also create your own index files for your own tracks.

Might do what you are after if you have the time to create the index files in the first place.

<edit>

Sample from a bookmark file

Code:
[CD key] 12677789
[Album ] Boxed (disc 1)
[Artist] Mike Oldfield
01:00:00:00*Tubular Bells - Part One
01:00:00:00 The Guardian I
01:04:04:00 Illumination I
01:04:42:40 The Guardian II

</edit>

Last edited:
Soldato
Your best option would probably be to use some editing software to cut the individual tracks out and save them as seperate tracks.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Ian_Eb
I use a thing called "ces Amarok" plugin. It has index files for most of the Mike Oldfield stuff and some classical stuff. You can also create your own index files for your own tracks.

Might do what you are after if you have the time to create the index files in the first place.
Cheers, that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Link for anyone that's interested.

Mickey - I think chopping the files up would be too much hassle, and would also remove the smooth transitions between the tracks.

Suspended
The long-winded, but perhaps 'proper' way to do it, is to make a cuesheet with corresponding track times and burn this onto CD.

Yes, I know it's not an MP3 still, but it's how I always deal with live recordings.

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Nozzer
The long-winded, but perhaps 'proper' way to do it, is to make a cuesheet with corresponding track times and burn this onto CD.
Yeah I know, but that removes all the advantages of having it as an MP3 in the first place ;)

Amarok is quite good, but not without its niggles:
  • It should link to the filename rather than the ID3 tag of an MP3
  • Should allow track numbers besides the tracks
  • Should include a CUE -> TRK converter
If those three were remedied it would be the perfect solution :cool:

There is an alternative to Amarok called Subtunes, but it isn't as good, especially in the looks department.

Back
Top Bottom