Windows 10 - Disable login

Rom

Rom

Associate
Hi,

Ive recently upgraded my pc, and Im struggling with disabling the login screen.

Was fine on my last 10 install, never asked me to login in, enter a pin or password.

Ive read loads of guides / videos. Tried netplwiz, they all say untick the box next to 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer'

I dont have that box?!

I was logged in with my hotmail account. Ive created a local account, thinking maybe that would sort it. Still insists I enter my password every boot.

In sign In Options > Require sign in is set to never.

What am I missing? Currently have just the local account, set as admin.

Associate
Never actually used this option in real life (only in labs for certification purposes) as this is terrible idea and should NEVER be used aside of a 'kiosk' designated computers, hence have no experience on it. Also not using online accounts to log into Win10, but maybe this is an issue?
Online account, autologon and virus - recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Create second local username and check if this 'Users must enter..' will show up.

Permabanned
It's a regkey fix because it appears Microsoft is removing the function gradually.

Start > Run > CMD (Command Prompt)

Type/Copy >
Code:
reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device" /v DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press enter

Then enter netplwiz again and walla.

Before:
TMzOYAd.png

After:
DELabFy.png

Rom

Rom

Associate
OP
It's a regkey fix because it appears Microsoft is removing the function gradually.

Start > Run > CMD (Command Prompt)

Type/Copy >
Code:
reg ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PasswordLess\Device" /v DevicePasswordLessBuildVersion /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press enter

Then enter netplwiz again and walla.

Before:
TMzOYAd.png

After:
DELabFy.png

Thank you!!!

This is what was driving me nuts, all the guides said about the box, and I didnt have it.

All sorted now, cheers :D

Permabanned
Thank you!!!

This is what was driving me nuts, all the guides said about the box, and I didnt have it.

All sorted now, cheers :D

You are welcome.

Just to recap - This may be a security risk by not having a password on your system.

If it's ever stolen it's going to be wide open to take all your files and whatever else is on the system.

Doesn't stop it from been formatted though in the first place if they just want a new pc.

:)

Rom

Rom

Associate
OP
You are welcome.

Just to recap - This may be a security risk by not having a password on your system.

If it's ever stolen it's going to be wide open to take all your files and whatever else is on the system.

Doesn't stop it from been formatted though in the first place if they just want a new pc.

Yeah theres nothing meaningful on it, just for gaming.

Before I upgraded, never had to login in. So was annoying me having to this time round.

Caporegime
You are welcome.

none of its encrypted anyway people can still access everything on the hdd even if u have a password

Soldato
Sysinternals autologon is a way of automating the task and also hashes the password so it's not stored as plain text in the registry.

Caporegime
Sysinternals autologon is a way of automating the task and also hashes the password so it's not stored as plain text in the registry.
all your password does is stop someone logging on.

it doesnt stop someone booting an os from a USB and still accessing everything.
unless someone lives with you who you don't want on the computer then passwords are basically a waste of time for windows login

Soldato
all your password does is stop someone logging on.

it doesnt stop someone booting an os from a USB and still accessing everything.
unless someone lives with you who you don't want on the computer then passwords are basically a waste of time for windows login
Given the question the OP posed this reply was a waste of time and resources...

Back
Top Bottom