Windows 10 Fall update and RAMDISK weirdness

Soldato
Prior to the Fall update, the data on the RAMDISK would always be cleared as instructed in the Dataram Ramdisk program options. Now, Windows randomly decides it should keep that data after a shutdown or restart (on average 1 out of every 2, or 1 out of every 4 reboots), and writes that amount of data to my boot drive.

I can get around this by remembering to manually clear the data in the RAMDISK before shutting down or restarting. Just would prefer not to have to do this, and I'm curious why it would be doing this as well so wanted to share in the hope someone has an idea.

I've disabled Hybrid Sleep and disabled (again, for good measure) Hibernation, to no effect. Sleep is set to: Never. Also deleted the RAMDISK, uninstalled the program and reinstalled and created the disk again.

Also, I wonder if the problem is even related to RAMDISK at all, and it's only the fact I use it (and can see data that should no longer be there) which helps me to see that Windows is now like randomly semi-sleeping/hibernating instead of fully shutting down, if you know what I mean.

Soldato
OP
Believe I found the culprit - SuperFetch had re-enabled itself with the Fall update. I had it disabled since May or so due to it helping to cause freezes while gaming. Also noticed the Fall update had re-enabled Windows Search.

SuperFetch was periodically storing stuff from the memory on disk, hence why I'd find RAMDISK data that should have been cleared on shutdowns still available upon reboots.

Back
Top Bottom