Windows 10 Version 2004 - EVERYTHING stuttering

Associate
Hey all,

I've today installed the Windows 10 version 2004 for the second time (after the first time made my PC stutter unbearably) and i'm still getting the stuttering issues!!

It's like my entire PC is now running on 10 FPS, even typing is stuttering.

I keep being told by the OS that I have to update because my old version is not going to be supported soon, but I literally cannot use this update as it is currently for me.

I've updated my GPU drivers (Now on Radeon 20.9.1) since the first time i tried with this update and it hasn't improved whatsoever.
When the PC first started up after this update just now, I quickly opend Rocket League to test it out. It worked fine for around 2 minutes and then the stuttering began again.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be? If you need more info about my system I will happily pass it over

Current specs are:
R7 2700
x470
5700XT

Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Edit: Video game music is stuttering too, but not music from spotify

Soldato
Sometimes it's easier just to do a fresh install of Windows than it is to go troubleshooting these types of issues.

Whether or not you reinstall, check you have the latest BIOS installed. Ideally update the BIOS before a fresh install Windows.

These issues are why I prefer to do a test run of the latest Windows on a spare drive before I commit to it.

Associate
OP
Ideally I'd like reinstalling Windows to be a last resort as I don't want to have to go through all of the pain of installing everything again. I'll see if this update works first of all

Associate
OP
It has unfortunately not worked. I might just see if I can roll back and then wait until I'm absolutely forced and then reinstall windows.

I've never reinstalled windows before, will it wipe absolutely everything off all 3 of my HDD/SSDs?

Permabanned
It has unfortunately not worked. I might just see if I can roll back and then wait until I'm absolutely forced and then reinstall windows.

I've never reinstalled windows before, will it wipe absolutely everything off all 3 of my HDD/SSDs?

If you know which boot drive is the one then unplug the other two. It will delete all data on that disk if you tell it too.

If it’s stuttering then there’s something a miss for sure. You could remove all the drivers you can find in the control panel. Maybe give us a screenshot of all software installed. That was we could tell you which ones are drivers (unless you know this).

I wouldn’t rollback if the issue is still there.

Soldato
As above, if you had stuttering in 20H1 (2004), then rolling back won't help. After backing up what you need, Just unplug all your drives except the Windows one and reinstall.

I prefer to do a run of Macrium Reflect, that way I can quickly restore the image onto a spare drive and find whatever it is I might have missed.

Associate
OP
If you know which boot drive is the one then unplug the other two. It will delete all data on that disk if you tell it too.

If it’s stuttering then there’s something a miss for sure. You could remove all the drivers you can find in the control panel. Maybe give us a screenshot of all software installed. That was we could tell you which ones are drivers (unless you know this).

I wouldn’t rollback if the issue is still there.

Yep all good on the drivers thanks :) I've been having issues with my Radeon drivers since I bought my 5700xt, so reinstalling windows might actually solve all those issues too.

As above, if you had stuttering in 20H1 (2004), then rolling back won't help. After backing up what you need, Just unplug all your drives except the Windows one and reinstall.

I prefer to do a run of Macrium Reflect, that way I can quickly restore the image onto a spare drive and find whatever it is I might have missed.

Alright cheers, I'll give it a go tomorrow if the issue is still persisting by then. Thanks both (y)

Permabanned
To be honest by the time you wrote this thread you could have had it reinstalled.

sometimes this is the only way to resolve issues. Especially what you are describing.

there’s too much can go wrong with a pc and it only takes something as a registry edit or a file deletion to break the whole machine.

I keep NO data where possible on the primary OS drive for this very reason.

Associate
OP
I would have done, but it was my turn to host the virtual quiz me and my mates have been hosting since March. :D

The issue does seem to have stopped for now weirdly, but I reckon I'll still do the reinstall just to get rid of the cobwebs so to say

Permabanned
I would have done, but it was my turn to host the virtual quiz me and my mates have been hosting since March. :D

The issue does seem to have stopped for now weirdly, but I reckon I'll still do the reinstall just to get rid of the cobwebs so to say

Might be a good time to sort through your data, give it a winter cleanup. Keep as much data as you can off the primary drive. Try get important data stored away from your machine in some cloud based storage or a NAS system or another backup solution.

Back
Top Bottom