Windows 10

V F

V F

Soldato
WTF! just popped my PC on, done a quick windows update check, and it quickly popped up with an Intel Net installing, then BOOM!, no internet access, No Connection, globe icon down by the clock, so i was just going to remove it, but then i thought no, as it'll just re-install next time it checks, so i just done a restart instead, and luckily, that sorted it.

******* WINDOWS!

Man, Microsoft never test their crap. There is always something wrong with the updates.

Caporegime
Also nearly ***ed my PC up as well, latest Windows Update... Restarting

BSOD on reboot, checking your PC for errors. Did this about 5 times, till it did an auto repair.

Was playing Skyrim all last night and no problem with PC for 2 years until today :mad:

Caporegime
the last windows update destroyed my intel rapid storage driver somehow.
windows wouldn't let me uninstall it and trying to update it the installer just gave an error
I noticed it was in my windows logs as crashed every bootup since the last update

I have 2ssd and 2HDD
my HDD were spinning up every 3-5 minutes I spent 2 days trying to work out what was causing it.

I thought maybe one drive is on it's last legs but then both my HDD disapear from windows after a few days, my 2nd SSD also disapears.

windows sees them only as "diskdrive" doesnt read anything from them in disk management...
BIOS sees what they are and the size fine though.....

I just finished reinstalling windows, only had the main drive enabled in bios until windows was fullly updated.

guess what all my drives magically work again....

what was the update 2004? cos my os updated to 1909 and doesnt give me any more updates..

I'm dreading it's going to ruin me again... I'm not installing any drivers this time apart from nvidia drivers and the intel preinstall sata driver

Soldato
Who wants to play the Windows Update lottery with the KB4577062 preview update?

Highlights
  • Adds a notification to Internet Explorer 11 that informs users about the end of support for Adobe Flash in December 2020. For more information, see KB4581051.
  • Updates an issue that causes certain apps to go into an unwanted repair cycle. As a result, a user cannot use that app during that time.
  • Updates an issue that might display 4K high dynamic range (HDR) content darker than expected when you configure certain non-HDR systems for HDR Streaming.
  • Updates an issue to reduce the likelihood of missing fonts.
  • Updates an issue that causes a device to stop responding after you have been using a pen for several hours.
  • Reduces distortions and aberrations in Windows Mixed Reality head-mounted displays (HMD).
  • Adds a notification to Internet Explorer 11 that informs users about the end of support for Adobe Flash in December 2020. For more information, see KB4581051.
  • Addresses an issue with Microsoft Edge IE Mode that occurs when you enable Configure enhanced hang detection for Internet Explorer mode in Microsoft Edge.
  • Addresses an issue that causes certain apps to go into an unwanted repair cycle. As a result, a user cannot use that app during that time.
  • Addresses an issue that, in certain scenarios, causes applications to stop working if they are created using Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). The error is, “Class not registered” error.
  • Addresses an issue that might display an empty black screen when a device is connecting to a Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) machine.
  • Addresses an issue that might display 4K high dynamic range (HDR) content darker than expected when you configure certain non-HDR systems for HDR Streaming.
  • Addresses an issue that causes a stop error when the initialization of the graphics adapter fails.
  • Addresses an issue to reduce the likelihood of missing fonts.
  • Addresses an issue that causes a device to stop responding after you have been using a pen for several hours.
  • Addresses an issue that fails to recognize the first East Asian language character typed into a Microsoft Foundation Class Library (MFC) DataGrid.
  • Addresses an issue in which selecting I forgot my Pin from Settings>Accounts>Sign-in options fails in a Windows Hello for Business On-Premise deployment.
  • Addresses an issue that causes File Explorer to close unexpectedly when you use a Ribbon shell extension under specific circumstances.
  • Addresses an issue that affects default application associations during certain upgrade scenarios. This might cause numerous toast notifications to appear when you first sign in after the upgrade.
  • Addresses an issue that generates a "No features to install" message when you add a feature, even if you provide administrative credentials.
  • Addresses an issue that causes a stop error when using Microsoft Surface Slim Pen on certain editions of Microsoft Surface Pro X or Microsoft Surface Laptop 3.
  • Updates 2021 time zone information for Fiji.
  • Addresses stop error 0xC2 in usbccgp.sys.
  • Addresses an issue that causes random line breaks when you redirect PowerShell console error output.
  • Addresses an issue with creating HTML reports using tracerpt.
  • Allows the DeviceHealthMonitoring Cloud Service Plan (CSP) to run on Windows 10 Business and Windows 10 Pro editions.
  • Addresses an issue that prevents the content under HKLM\Software\Cryptography from being carried over during Windows feature updates.
  • Addresses an issue that displays an error that states that a smart card PIN change was not successful even though the PIN change was successful.
  • Addresses an issue that might create duplicate Foreign Security Principal directory objects for Authenticated and Interactive users in the domain partition. As a result, the original directory objects have “CNF” added to their names and are mangled. This issue occurs when you promote a new domain controller using the CriticalReplicationOnly flag.
  • Addresses an issue that prevents you from enabling BitLocker after installing the Server Core App Compatibility Feature on Demand (FOD).
  • Addresses an issue that causes an access violation in lsass.exe when a process is started using the runas command in some circumstances.
  • Addresses an issue in which Windows Defender Application Control enforces package family name rules that should be audit only.
  • Addresses an issue, which occurs after an update, that causes devices that have the Dynamic Root of Trust for Measurement (DRTM) enabled to unexpectedly reset when hibernating.
  • Updates the configuration of Windows Hello Face recognition to work well with 940nm wavelength cameras.
  • Reduces distortions and aberrations in Windows Mixed Reality head-mounted displays (HMD).
  • Ensures that new Windows Mixed Reality HMDs meet minimum specification requirements and default to a 90Hz refresh rate.
  • Addresses an issue that causes a stop error on a Hyper-V host when a virtual machine (VM) issues a specific Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) command.
  • Addresses an issue that prevents Always On VPN (AOVPN) from automatically reconnecting when resuming from Sleep or Hibernate.
  • Adds an Azure Active Directory (AAD) Device Token that is sent to Windows Update (WU) as part of each WU scan. WU can use this token to query for membership in groups that have an AAD Device ID.
  • Addresses an issue that fails to log events 5136 for group membership changes in certain scenarios. This occurs when you use the “Permissive Modify” control; for example, the Active Directory (AD) PowerShell modules use this control.
  • Addresses an issue with the Microsoft Cluster Shared Volumes File Systems (CSVFS) driver that prevents Win32 API access to SQL Server Filestream data. This occurs when the data is stored on a Cluster Shared Volume in a SQL Server failover cluster instance, which is on an Azure VM.
  • Addresses an issue that causes a deadlock when Offline Files are enabled. As a result, CscEnpDereferenceEntryInternal holds parent and child locks.
  • Addresses an issue that causes deduplication jobs to fail with stop error 0x50 when you call HsmpRecallFreeCachedExtents().
  • Addresses an issue that causes applications stop working when they use Microsoft’s Remote Desktop sharing APIs. The breakpoint exception code is 0x80000003.
  • Removes the HTTP call to www.microsoft.com that the Remote Desktop Client (mstsc.exe) makes at sign out when using a Remote Desktop Gateway.
  • Adds support for certain new Windows Mixed Reality motion controllers.
  • Addresses an issue with evaluating the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.
  • Addresses an issue with setting the “Restrict delegation of credentials to remote servers” Group Policy with the “Restrict Credential Delegation” mode on the RDP client. As a result, the Terminal Server service tries to use “Require Remote Credential Guard” mode first and will only use “Require Restricted Admin” if the server does not support “Require Remote Credential Guard".

Soldato
My Windows 10 has quite an annoying picture problem. When I want to look at a picture - not the most complicated thing in the world - the Photos App takes an absolute age (25 seconds) to load the picture or sometimes throws up an error.

It only happens with picture, I don't get any other errors for accessing files on my (newish) SSD.

Any ideas? Do I need to reset something or "update" the photos app or whatever

Associate
The latest update has borked my setup - mainly USB - loses connectivity. You know when you think you are losing the plot - I thought it was me not plugging in correctly, doubtful hardware on the way out as everything was dropping out at some point (keyboard, mouse etc) so left scratching head. Cannot play any Steam games as installed on an SSD enclosure. :(

Also HDHomeRun for streaming live TV, working perfectly and now a stuttery mess (works perfectly on my Mac - now really stutters on Windows).

God damn, was thinking about a reinstall at some point as its been a while. Now looks like the decision has been taken from me.

Caporegime
FFS Microsoft, my HTPC has completely brain farted with the latest update (after days of not been able to do so) and now I am stuck in a BSOD boot loop.

Man of Honour
I see Google have started up a ad campaign again with Chromebook, etc. of digging at Windows especially updates heh. If MS aren't careful they will increasingly lose out to Google on this front.

Soldato
I see Google have started up a ad campaign again with Chromebook, etc. of digging at Windows especially updates heh. If MS aren't careful they will increasingly lose out to Google on this front.

If Linux (or Google) ever become viable for VR sim racing, I'm bailing on Windows.

Soldato
Doubt Microsoft are massively concerned. Hardly anyone paid for Windows 10 as a lot of people had the free upgrade, laptop users normally get the 'free' OEM version as well.

The other OS's you mention just aren't the same. Chrome OS is really based around having an always-on internet connection and running web apps. If you're using Windows you'll likely want a GUI and as each Linux variant has a different GUI then this adds further confusion. The learning curve, in my opinion, is very steep as well coming from Windows. I use Linux in work every now and then and I'd say I was far from comfortable with it.

For me I very rarely have an issue with Windows Updates. I've been on 2004 since it was released to AMD users, all be it a little later than the rest. I'd suggest people always keep a good backup of your system. It makes life so much easier. Even if it's an image where you've just installed all the latest drivers and your base software. If it goes wrong then you simply restore. I use Veeam Backup (https://www.veeam.com/blog/free-windows-linux-backup-while-you-work-from-home.html) which works really well. Very quick and the recovery media it creates is very good (installs network drivers for if you want to keep your image on a NAS).

M.

Soldato
KB4577671 installed with no issues on my 1909 installation.

KB4579311 released today for 20H1 / 2004 with no major changes:

Improvements and fixes

This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
  • Addresses an issue with a possible elevation of privilege in win32k.
  • Addresses an issue with the Group Policy service that might recursively delete critical files in alphabetic order from %systemroot%\systm32. This issue occurs when a policy has been configured to delete cached profiles. These file deletions might cause stop error “0x5A (CRITICAL_SERVICE_FAILED)” boot failures.
  • Addresses an issue with creating null ports using the user interface.
  • Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Media, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Authentication, Windows Virtualization, and Windows Kernel.

Soldato
My HP laptop is currently down thanks to patch tuesday. Stuck on bios boot screen / 'Protected by HP Sure Start'. Probably an issue with MS secure keys.

EDIT: Restarted and it continued on then after passing boot auth with my finger print. Maybe it was because I had the feature for updates to restart and use my credentials to finish up, turned off. I can't find where this feature is any more, did MS remove it, or is it just well hidden somewhere?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Anyone else had a random windows change ?

Just done an update check, and after it was done (no updates were found, all up to date), my Settings pane just changed to this :-

8xxwgu6hhyu21.png

From this :-

the-classic-windows-control-panel-really-needs-to-go-527533-2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom