Windows 10

Soldato
Using the Microsoft "Update Assistant" on 3 (1 ASUS Eee 2009 (!), 2 others "homebuilt" of various vintages). Assistant says compatible - all going OK so far. 87%, 83% and downloading.

Mel

Soldato
Fingers crossed. They might have resolved the issues with what they had in 2004 but not pushing it out OTA yet.

2 Intel home-builts (i920, i5) updated; Asus Eee slowly updated. Not tried the Lenovo laptop yet as that has a Conexant sound driver which frequently causes blue screens and is not always easily recoverable from.

So that is 4 out of 5 on 20H2 and 1/5 on 1909 - blocked by Microsoft from going to 2004 because of sound driver.

Last edited:
Soldato
I might have missed something, but since updating to 20H2 I can only login with my PIN. I used to have my password, but even looking through the options to login with this no longer seems to exist. On the login screen too I no longer have "other sign in options" to choose from.

Any ideas?

Permabanned
I might have missed something, but since updating to 20H2 I can only login with my PIN. I used to have my password, but even looking through the options to login with this no longer seems to exist. On the login screen too I no longer have "other sign in options" to choose from.

Any ideas?

Just tried it, I can log in with a password on login screen. Try adding a password again.

Soldato
You logging in with a microsoft account or a local account?

MS account.

I updated to 202H last night, and since then the only way I can login is with my PIN.

Looking at my options to sign into my device I have:
Windows Hello Face
Windows Hello Fingerprint
Windows Hello PIN
Security Key

Just booted up my VM and I can see that has 2 more options with is Password and Picture Password...what the hell has happened?

Permabanned
MS account.

I updated to 202H last night, and since then the only way I can login is with my PIN.

Looking at my options to sign into my device I have:
Windows Hello Face
Windows Hello Fingerprint
Windows Hello PIN
Security Key

Just booted up my VM and I can see that has 2 more options with is Password and Picture Password...what the hell has happened?

Maybe they taking it away for microsoft login users?

Soldato
Figured it out. For some reason "Require Windows Hello Sign-in for Microsoft Accounts" had checked itself. Unchecked and the options are back.

Sorry for the fuss.

EDIT: Yep you found the answer too. I was just comparing the VM to my Physical and found it.

Permabanned
Microsoft might skip next spring Windows 10 21H1 feature update, instead autumn 21H2:

As I previously reported, Microsoft might opt to skip releasing a 21H1 Windows 10 feature update. (Officials won't confirm or deny this every time I ask.) Instead, they might just do one feature update next year, the "Cobalt" update in the fall of 21H2. In the spring, last I heard, Microsoft is planning to release the first iteration of Windows 10X -- its simpler and more secure Windows 10 variant which it originally planned to debut on dual-screen devices, but now plan to roll out first on new single-screen PCs and 2-in-1s.

Today, October 28, Windows Central reported that the 21H2 Cobalt Windows 10 feature update isn't going to be minor. It's going to be much bigger than the usual feature update and will include a UI refresh across a number of Windows components and apps. The UI refresh itself is codenamed "Sun Valley," according to Windows Central's Zac Bowden. This UI refresh will include an overhaul to the Start Menu, Action Center and some in-box/bundled Microsoft apps, Bowden says, and will be an optional change.

My contacts say the Sun Valley codename does, indeed, exist. According to materials from this summer that I've seen, Microsoft engineering has been describing the version of Windows 10 due next fall as "Windows 10++." So perhaps Sun Valley is the equivalent of the "++" here. These ++/Sun Valley changes also are likely to work their way into Windows 10X for single screen devices by Spring 2022, based on the last information I've heard/seen.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/micro...windows-10-ui-with-sun-valley-in-21h2-report/

Man of Honour
Lets hope they do bring a significant and decent UI overhaul - running Windows 10 and 7 side by side most days I find 10 such an eye sore and so many icons, etc. still look like they were ripped from Windows 3.1 or an intern whipped them up on their lunch break kind of stuff :(

That and so I don't have feature updates foisted on me at inopportune moments - especially as by and large I don't even need or want anything they bring - and we might be starting to move towards a decent OS.

Permabanned
Lets hope they do bring a significant and decent UI overhaul - running Windows 10 and 7 side by side most days I find 10 such an eye sore and so many icons, etc. still look like they were ripped from Windows 3.1 or an intern whipped them up on their lunch break kind of stuff :(

That and so I don't have feature updates foisted on me at inopportune moments - especially as by and large I don't even need or want anything they bring - and we might be starting to move towards a decent OS.

Windows 10 20H2 also received icons refresh.

Man of Honour
Still looks pretty poor compared to my Windows 7 setup though.

I like the new features (at least in theory) for the start menu in 10 but at least for me this looks so much nicer:

qxgVtZ6.png

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato

"I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. If you'll wait to rate whether my post resolved your problem, I will keep working with you until it's resolved."

"This thread is locked. You can follow the question or vote as helpful, but you cannot reply to this thread."

I'm curious what the outcome was... thread created on June 20, someone replied on June 20, locked on June 20. While 10 people has the same question.

V F

V F

Soldato

No way man. Microsoft don't have a hope in hell of designing a nice clean organized UI.

Permabanned
I'm curious what the outcome was... thread created on June 20, someone replied on June 20, locked on June 20. While 10 people has the same question.

I think that was the solution to people not having passwords only pins on their screen.

Windows 10 20H2 also received icons refresh.

It did indeed. I'm having a play with PWAs (Sandboxed Web Applications) at the moment trying their office and other stuff.

Looking for a solution to roll out pre-done PWAs. I possibly have a solution and that's to copy Edge profile over to a machine, running few reg keys (for pwa paths, + uninstall info).

I'm liking the new office PWA, one icon everything is in one window!

ofc you will need internet access though, for now until they allow offline PWA's.

4eFEpWN.png

i0lsy9p.png

Back
Top Bottom