1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Jobe, 24 Dec 2018.

1. Jobe

Wise Guy

Hi all
    Been a long while since I needed software
    What’s the cheapest place for a basic win 10 key?
    Am I allowed to ask? OC’ers have it for over £100. Is that the going rate these days?
    Jobe

2. Armageus

Don

There are only 2 places to get a guaranteed legal copy - either directly from Microsoft themselves, or from main retailers such as OcUK, at the prices you've found.

Whilst there are cheaper keys available, they aren't necessarily legal, in that whilst they *may* activate for a period of time, they may possibly be stolen keys, or keys from non-retail channels (E.g. academic or corporate).

3. Jobe

Wise Guy

I did wonder why some were so cheap. At least I now know
    Thanks A

4. robinbredin

Wise Guy

should not need them. Your win 7 key should work on win 10.

5. cheesyboy

Capodecina

I bought a grey market key for £8 a year ago, that's still going strong. Would do it again.

*** Reseller deleted ***
    - Armageus

Last edited by a moderator: 25 Dec 2018
  6. Armageus

Don

That's nice for you, although not sure why you went to the trouble - you can just run it in unlicensed mode and the only difference is a watermark on the desktop

7. Rroff

Man of Honour

Those cheap keys are very varied in experience - as I posted recently MS block banned a whole load of them a couple of months back or so that previously had worked for months/years.

Unfortunately the price you pay (unless buying directly from an established company like OcUK or MS directly) isn't much of an indication either - couple of well known stores are selling 3rd party fulfilled ones at £60-100 where the majority of sellers unfortunately are just repackaging non-retail, etc. channel keys and/or salvaged OEM keys that eventually get blocked.

8. cheesyboy

Capodecina

Living room pc. Don't really want the minor nag, nor the more fiddly wallpaper changing routine. And it's only £8! Not a lot of trouble.

9. Kermit

Mobster

You can still use a legit Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 of the same type eg Win 7 Home, Win 10 Home etc.

I think MS still allow that as the master plan will be to get 95% of PC's on to Windows 10 then at some point switch it to subscription for upgrades.