Windows 7 32-bit to 64-bit upgrade

Associate
I am running Windows 7 32-bit, but want to upgrade it to 64-bit. As I understand it I do not need to purchase a whole new license but can use my current license. I have a 64-bit CD which says 'Intended for distribution with a Refurbished PC'. I've tried to boot to this to install but it won't. Looking on Amazon there are plenty of 'Re-install Win 7 64-bit' CDs, for around £6.97. Are these the ones I need? If not, what do I need? There are none saying 'Install' except full license versions.

Thanks.

Soldato
7 keys are both 32-bit and 64-bit so you just need a 64-bit ISO for installation.

What's your system specs? What exactly happens when you try to boot with the 64-bit disk that you have?

Associate
OP
7 keys are both 32-bit and 64-bit so you just need a 64-bit ISO for installation.

What's your system specs? What exactly happens when you try to boot with the 64-bit disk that you have?

How big is the ISO? My broadband is slow, so it may take hours to download. I also have no USB stick larger than 256mb to boot from, , and no CD/DVD-write drive. hence wanting the set-up CD. The 64-bit disk will not boot, even if I go into the Bios and make my CD-drive the only bootable one it's ignored and I get the 'press any key to reboot' msg. If I try to run the CD whilst in Win 7 it says 'this CD is not valid for the version of Windows you have, get an installation disk and boot from it.'

My system is AMD FX-8350, 8gb RAM, Asus M78A5L mobo, Radeon 6850 graphics.

Soldato
How big is the ISO? My broadband is slow, so it may take hours to download. I also have no USB stick larger than 256mb to boot from, , and no CD/DVD-write drive. hence wanting the set-up CD. The 64-bit disk will not boot, even if I go into the Bios and make my CD-drive the only bootable one it's ignored and I get the 'press any key to reboot' msg. If I try to run the CD whilst in Win 7 it says 'this CD is not valid for the version of Windows you have, get an installation disk and boot from it.'

My system is AMD FX-8350, 8gb RAM, Asus M78A5L mobo, Radeon 6850 graphics.

It would be cheaper to just get a 4gb or safer 8gb USB stick and download the ISO yourself, write it to the USB stick using rufus and then boot from it, as stated above, to download the ISO from the Microsoft site, you just need to give them your key to verify you have a valid license.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-Exec...568416?hash=item1caf34f7e0:g:6WoAAOSwg4tbJ7qR

Soldato
You could probably install Windows 10 if you prefer. I've installed Windows 10 (Pro and Home) on about 6 machines recently using the their Windows 7 OEM keys and they've all activated with digital licences.

Associate
OP
It would be cheaper to just get a 4gb or safer 8gb USB stick and download the ISO yourself, write it to the USB stick using rufus and then boot from it, as stated above, to download the ISO from the Microsoft site, you just need to give them your key to verify you have a valid license.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8GB-Exec...568416?hash=item1caf34f7e0:g:6WoAAOSwg4tbJ7qR

Ok thanks. Are you saying it is not possible to get a bootable 64-bit upgrade CD without paying for a full license version? Because if it is, I'd still prefer to get one..

Soldato
Follow the Microsoft link you’ve been given above and enter your key and see if it verifies.

If it does you’ll be able to download the ISO and then create a bootable USB stick from it.

Soldato
As above, buy a cheap 4/8GB USB or blank DVDs (whatever is cheaper/easier for you to get), and download the image from above. For Home at least for the 64-bit SP1 image it's around 3.2GB. Would be much cheaper than buying a 64-bit licence just to get the bootable disk.

That Windows link doesn't seem to work for my retail 7 Pro key though so I had to grab an image elsewhere...

Associate
OP
I've tried the ISO download link. I have 3 Win 7 Product keys - I think my old laptop went bang, so that accounts for 2 - however all 3 were rejected with the msg 'key comes from a manufacturer refurb'd PC, contact them about upgrading'. I can understand this for my laptop(s), but my desktop I upgraded from XP to Win 7 myself. Is the problem that this wasn't a from-scratch install, so it isn't a full Win 7 32-bit, so I cant just install Win 7 64-bit without a full license?

Soldato
In your first post you say that you have an installation CD (DVD) which should be suitable but you can't boot from it.

I'd start by working out why that isn't working. It won't be licence key related at that stage.

If you want to upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit you will have to basically wipe the machine in the process..

Associate
OP
I have CDs for Win 7 32 & 64, both Microsoft, saying 'Intended for distribution with a refurbished PC'. The 32-bit one will run from win 7 and start to re-install. The 64-bit one says it's not valid for the system I have. Get the right one, and boot to it. Can I tell if the CD is bootable? It has a boot folder inc bootsect, etfsboot DOS app, plus bootmgr in the root.

Soldato
You need to fresh install it, you can't run it from within Windows itself.

The 64-bit disk will not boot, even if I go into the Bios and make my CD-drive the only bootable one it's ignored and I get the 'press any key to reboot' msg.

Reset the BIOS, and unplug the hard drive and try see if it can boot from the disk this time without any settings changed. If that doesn't work, does it work with the 32-bit disk?

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally managed to boot from the 64-bit CD, and installed no problems. Interestingly, I did not delete the old Win 7 32-bit system from the hd. (I'd backed it all up though), and after Win 7 64-bit had installed it had kept all the 32-bit system in a win.old folder, also some program files in a Program files (x86) folder. It didnt matter as I'd backed them up, but it does show a new Win7 install has a look at the hd it's about to blat and keeps old stuff (at least old Win 7 stuff)...
I was also concerned as I have a twin-boot system with an old Win XP hd. This survived the installation too - perhaps not so surprising as Win 7 created the twin-boot bios menu when I originally installed the 32-bit version on a new hd..

Back
Top Bottom