Windows 7 Beta 1 (build 7000) screenshots

Soldato
Open up OSX to thousands and thousands of different hardware combination and you may not find it as stable and quick so much of a sudden :)

I think Apple would make great software sales if they did but naturally would lose hardware sales, which I guess they make a packet on due to a lot of those types that sit in coffee shops with tweed jackets on, surfing on their £1500 Mac Book, while listening to their iPod Touch and talking on their iPhone feeling all smug about themselves ;)

Associate
Windows 7 seems so snappy... compared to vista that is.
Even seems stable as something kept crashing vista.

Looking good, shaping up to be a nice OS.

Soldato
Okay... so I put Windows 7 on my USB stick, installed into my Acer Aspire One (1.6GHz Atom, 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD) and to my surprise... everything (apart from the flakey wireless) worked 100%.

Just as snappy as it is on my main system.
The explorer layout is rather intuitive too, really like the whole icon based taskbar now.

I am looking very much forward to the final release now :)

Soldato
Does for me.

And has done for ooh, the last 7 years of me using OS X.

OS X: 2002 PowerMac G4 --> 2007 Macbook Pro --> (2009 Mac Pro)
Windows XP: Pentium 4 Northy --> AMD64 --> Intel C2D

I think his point was that no software or hardware is ever perfect and without fault. And if you truly believe OS X never has any problems just had a simple Google search and open your eyes.

Plus there's people on this very forum using Windows with 8GB of RAM.

Soldato
I think his point was that no software or hardware is ever perfect and without fault. And if you truly believe OS X never has any problems just had a simple Google search and open your eyes.

Plus there's people on this very forum using Windows with 8GB of RAM.

Quite true, I know they have problems. I do not with OSX, unfortunately, I do with Windows. :(

Im not stupid with money, I firmly research every purchase pretty much. But the confidence I put into OS X over Windows means im about to spend about as twice as much money on a Mac Pro over a self built PC.

I've been using them side by side since I was 5, 14 years ago. So this "fan boy" status I might be gathering isn't with a limited experience :) I think the experience of using them both in a day to day basis in pretty much every environment apart from corporate/servers gives me the right to a rather comprehensive opinion. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually the more I use Win7 the more I like it. Just installed it on my main PC (Specs below) rather than the Atom 1.6Ghz and it flies along, installed all the programs I would normally use and all the hardware I could and everything was perfect even the stuff that you think may cause a problem (stuff that messes with networking settings/drivers etc and cheap nasty hardware that uses shoddy drivers)

I think I'll wait to see if a 64bit version is released and then I will try my best to resist temptation to run it full time instead of Vista. It honestly feels good enough.

X2 6400+, 2GB ram, ATI X1950, AMD Chipset mobo. Windows automatically installed all the correct drivers, then windows update found some updated drivers. I didnt try to install any Vista drivers since it all worked fine.

Associate
currently running this through VMWare, and am very pleased to say the least.

Given that VMWare is only allocating 1gb of ram to it, its still brill to use. Like any new operating system, takes a day or 2 to get completly used to it, but i can see me dual booting it and using it as a primary even in this early beta stage.

I was using vista as a primary operating system pretty much (XP on dual boot) since the first beta came out.

Soldato
They appear to be changing the task bar for the sake having something new in your face. Now it conveys less information just so that it can look like the similarly dubious OS X dock.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom