1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Enterprise says it needs activated

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Nor, 25 Sep 2009.

1. Nor

Wise Guy

Long story short. New install of Windows 7 Enterprise (90 day trial) 2 days ago onto new PC. PC wouldn't boot tonight and removed CMOS battery to sort it. Didn't reset date (was 2002).

Booted Windows. It gets all upset and says my install has expired and I need to activate it. Then, won't let me activate, says there's a security issue. Won't let me buy a key because it's not released it etc.

Any ideas?

2. Aod

Sgarrista

complete reinstall :p

you can only use the "rearm" trick to extend a windows trial before it's expired. it thinks you've been messing with the date settings to try and extend your trial usage and has locked itself irrevocably as a result.

3. Nor

Wise Guy

Cheers Aod. I take it I can't call MS and get a key to enter to activate it?

4. stoofa

Capodecina

Not really as one of the first questions will be:

"Why are you running the Enterprise edition on your home PC?"

If you were running it in the correct, corporate environment then either your IT department would have your key or they would be running their own activation server - so no need to contacts Microsoft's.

5. lokkers

Wise Guy

Not if it's the free 90 day trial, which he can be using quite legitimately now.

6. Nor

Wise Guy

Windows 7 seems to have fixed itself :) It must have spoke to Microsoft of its own accord and it's now no longer asking to activate and not switching off every hour :) Happy days.

Thanks for the help.