1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 home premium price?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by coopsjc21, 17 Sep 2009.

1. coopsjc21

Gangster

Hi,
    I am looking at moving from Win XP to Windows 7 when its released in october. I read in a pc mag though that the home premium retail price is £150 quid, yes many places are selling it pre-order for around £65. Is this a special pre-order price, or do you think it will stay this price after it has been released on 22 october?

Reason Im asking is I dont really have the money to pre-order and pay for it now, but I dont wan to end up paying full whack after its released.

Ta much!

2. Reality|Bites

Soldato

I think it may remain at that price. I paid a pre-order price of £46

3. NeoVo

Hitman

When i pre ordered mine (not from ocuk), was told that money wont come out until the product is dispatched. As far as im aware its the same policy for all companies.

I think various businesses only have a certain amount of copies at the pre order price, as lots of other suppliers are charging the rrp.

4. coopsjc21

Gangster

Might have to scrape some loot together and get in while the goings good then. Cant be missing out on an £85 discount!

5. stoofa

Capodecina

Windows 7 is going through two pre-order phases.
    The first one is now long gone.
    It enabled you to get Home Premium for £50 and Professional for £100.

The second phase of pre-order (which we are currently in) only seems to give offers on Home Premium.
    Right now you can secure Home Premium for anything between £65 - £85.

Once Windows 7 is actually released in October, prices will revert to the full retail, which will be £150 for the full retail version of Home Premium.

Before you get all excited about "over priced" Microsoft software.
    Look at it this way.
    An OS will last for approx. 3 years.
    Full retail allows you to transfer the OS between all of the machines you own in those 3 years.
    So £50 a year or less than £1 a week to use Windows 7 - now that is an absolute bargain.
    And that is with the OS at £150!

6. jas72

Capodecina

46 quid for the OS is also a bargain ;)

7. Egon

Soldato

It is a bargain really. Is there anything I would miss that's in the Pro/Ultimate editions that isn't in Home Premium? I've had a quick look on the MS comparison site and didn't see anything immediately obvious.

Edit: Forgot to ask, any idea if OcUK take your dosh immediately or upon shipment?

Last edited: 17 Sep 2009
  8. braveheart

Wise Guy

Ive pre-ordered for W7 Ultimate full version from other side quite cheap but after pre-order is finish then price may go up... my online store wont debit my money still it dispatch first so it will be on 22-23 October that few weeks to go.

9. nikebee

Capodecina

From past experience OcUK take the money when you order, not when it's dispatched.

10. Nikolic

Hitman

11. Digitalle

Hitman

I preordered mine yesterday for £50 bux free delivery from a leading high street supermarket....

although I might have a little foray into that student offer. Goooood shout.

12. Furton

Mobster

13. Digitalle

Hitman

Yeah its just the Upgrade Version. I need the full one. 50 is good enough for me.

14. Egon

Soldato

Can you PM me the store. Email in trust. I've checked some obvious one so far but to no avail.

Thanks

15. Daegan

Wise Guy

Got a source for that?

16. blairw

Mobster

It says the offer is only valid for people running vista or xp - go figure :)

17. Reality|Bites

Soldato

Nothing wrong with an upgrade version, It's exactly the same as the full retail version, only difference is that it asks you to put in your XP/Vista disc during installation to verify you own a previous version of windows.

18. hohum

Wise Guy

You have to install XP or Vista, activate it, and then install 7 within. You can't do a clean install with the upgrade disc.

19. Daegan

Wise Guy

The £50 HP / £100 Pro pre-order offers had the same wording yet were full versions, albeit mandated by the E edition mess. This offer doesn't state explicitly that it's an upgrade version, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions :)

20. Reality|Bites

Soldato

Yes you can. I have the upgrade version of XP and I don't have to install windows 98 lol.