1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 install

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by zytok, 19 Oct 2009.

1. zytok

Wise Guy

was expecting my copy of Windows 7 to turn up today as a friend who ordered at the same time has his but mines not turned up. Question is, can I legally install his copy and just enter the serial number later when my copy turns up or does it insist on the serial during installation?

2. Rainmaker

Sgarrista

You'd be fine to do that, no problems at all really. If you bought different versions though (eg HP v Ultimate) make sure you install the version YOU paid for. You can do that either by choosing it at the prompt that appears during install when you choose not to enter a serial, or by ripping the install DVD to a USB and removing the relevant config file.

3. zytok

Wise Guy

can anyone else confirm whether the full retail release allows you to skip entering a product key on installation?

4. Daegan

Wise Guy

Yes you can skip entering a product key on installation.

You need to enter a product key to activate it, but Windows gives you 30 days to do this (90 days if you rearm it twice).