Windows 7 Startup Loop

Soldato
OP
I did it!

I just renamed the idoxvtc.sys file to idoxvtc.bak (using the XP guide I linked previously) and restarted. Voila!

The file was 86MB too, probably a windows update as I couldn't find it after a quick search in the Install.wim file from the Windows 7 CD.

Happy days, although 2 hours of my life down the pan. 3.46AM here in Hong Kong.

Let me know if you need a hand.

Soldato
Haha, I just fixed mine too!

Had a eureka moment...

Let it boot into recovery console thing from the hidden Win 7 partition as it does, then run the command prompt. Then ran notepad.exe and used the file, open... file browser to locate ntoskrnl.exe on the X: drive (mounted when you lauch the console, from hidden partition) and then copied it to the C: drive in the correct location. I also observed it was totally missing, so perhaps it was a virus or similar? Hard to tell, though the HTPC only runs Microsoft Security essentials, so I might beef up its security some more as MSSE has caused issues before.

I was running kaspersky, but that had problems letting windows 7 homegroups to work, which I do use, so had to abandon it.

What even is your idoxvtc.sys? What does it control? I don't recognise the filename. You might have to install a driver again.

Soldato
OP
Excellent, we got there in the end. :)

I can't find anything about the idoxvtc.sys file on the net, so have no ideas. I'm back into Windows though and everything has been fine for the last 10 minutes.

Case closed.

edit: I got the bytes mixed up, it's only 841kb. My bad.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi, I have this problem and I cannot stop the repair loop. I have tried the "bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled No" command and it says operation successful but when I reboot it still tries to run the startup repair tool.

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom