Windows 7 Update Error

Capodecina
Soldato
For reasons that are too involved to explain I am trying to get Windows 7 working on a PC that originally ran Windows 7 and which was subsequently upgraded to Windows 10 some while back.

I successfully installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on a blank hard disk drive on the system - no problems.
I installed the motherboard drivers on the system - no problems.
I activated Windows 7 Pro 64 bit on the system - no problems.
I am now trying to download and install updates to Windows 7 Pro 64 bit - BIG problem!

Every time I try to download updates using "Check for updates" I get an error message along the flollowing lines:
An error occured while checking for new updates for your computer.
Error code: 80072EE2 - Windows Update encountered an unknown error.
Most recent chack for updates: Never
Updates were installed: Never
Can anyone offer any help please?

I believe (from past experience) that if you are an authorised Microsoft administrator / tester / developer you can download aWindows update package to roll out across machines; can anyone point me in the direction of where I can (legitimately) get such a package?

Please remember, everything I am trying to do is "above board", I just need to reinstall Windows 7 on this wretched system in order to let someone use some obsolete software :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Make sure that SP1 is installed, then find an download the latest Servicing Stack Update and Convenience Rollup Update. Been a while since I did this, but I seem to also recall installing the latest version of IE helped too.

Although not the site I used, here is a link you might find helpful - I followed up to step 8, then Windows Update did the rest for me.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Make sure that SP1 is installed, then find and download the latest Servicing Stack Update and Convenience Rollup Update. Been a while since I did this, but I seem to also recall installing the latest version of IE helped too.

Although not the site I used, here is a link you might find helpful - I followed up to step 8, then Windows Update did the rest for me.
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Servicing Stack Update:
Convenience Rollup Update:

Incidentally, I believe that IE and the first version of Edge have now been abandoned by Microsoft.

Soldato
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Servicing Stack Update:
Convenience Rollup Update:

Incidentally, I believe that IE and the first version of Edge have now been abandoned by Microsoft.
I'll experiment on a VM for you. Do you know if the Windows 7 you're installing already has SP1 slipstreamed/integrated into the image? If so, that would save the step of installing SP1 at least.

Soldato
Yes, it is Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64.

Many thanks for any help :)
Installed the below in the order I've listed, with a reboot between each update even if the article or Windows doesn't tell me to.
  1. April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
  2. Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
With only the two above installed, I checked for any updates. Be patient here, as it took about 5-10 on my VM - so depending on your specs, the time may vary. If nothing shows after about 30 minutes, try rebooting and checking again.

After installation of the above files, the initial check for updates:
Virtual-Box-w7-16-09-2020-16-39-03.png

Back
Top Bottom