Windows 7 won't boot...without my old hard drive

Associate
Hi there,
I've recently installed windows 7 onto a new hard disk ( i still have my old hard disk with xp just in case anything went wrong).....however i tried setting my new hard disk ( with win7) as the boot priority........but it won't boot. It does if i set the old disk ( with xp) as priority as it gives me a choice of which OS to boot

Why is this?

Cheers

c

Associate
OP
Hi Halfmad,
Well it's not really a resolution as such ( as i've not yet tried it myself)...but here's the sequence:

"D/l bootsect.zip

Extract the .zip and copy bootsect.exe into your C:\windows\System32 folder.

Open an elevated command ( type cmd in start search box - when the black box pops up - rt click it and run as admin.)

Type the following , and press enter after each line:

bcdboot c:\windows /s c:

bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr

diskpart

sel vol c

act

sel vol f

inact

exi

close cmd prompt. Restart. You're good.

You might want to go into Bios and set Disk 0 as first HD in Bios boot order - not essential.

You need to keep the C letter for the 7 partition ( which you want to do anyway).

The others you can change as you like. In Disk Management, Rt click the one you want to change and select "Change drive letters and paths"

I should point out that this guy's xp hard drive is 'f'.........so if yours is different sub f for the the apprrpriate vol letter ( mine is d)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom