windows defrag ?

Soldato
Put simply, as you delete files you leave gaps between other files on the HDD. When you next write a file, it fills in the gaps. These gaps are not always large enough so the file being written gets split up.

Since the read and write heads of a HDD takes time to move to different parts of the HDD, the more a file is split up, the longer it takes. Over time, this fragmentation can get pretty bad and completely bin your performance.

Defragging basically finds files that are split up and joins them back up, and also compacts all the data on the HDD so all the free space is on the end [making it less likely new files will get split up.].

Soldato
OP
How the data on my disk is arranged, re-arranged and also that something as actually happened. I mean, with the vista/7 defragger how do I even know that anything has been done.

I use auslogics disk defrag btw.

You could set the schedule for a time that you are on the p.c ,so u will see it fragment the drive and know it works

Associate
I'm one of those poor deluded souls who put their faith in a 3rd party defragger. There is some good info here (pdf) on the differences between windows defragger and perfectdisk [for example].

Man of Honour
I can never trust those whitepapers written by software developers comparing their own product with another - it's clear it's only going to praise their product, otherwise that would be silly :p

I have been using Windows defragger since I installed 7 back late last year and since that time I have shifted 1408GB.

Windows defragger right now reports 0% drive fragmentation.

I downloaded PerfectDisk 10 Professional (trial) and did an analysis just to see if their reporting was going to prove Windows 7 defragger wrong:
perfectdisk.png

And after doing a manual defrag in Windows defragger:
perfectdisk2.png

As you can see, even PerfectDisk reports that Windows 7 defragger does the job well enough to keep my drives in the most optimum condition so why should I buy PerfectDisk if their own product is saying Windows does it just as good?!

The reporting aspect of PD and crew are obviously better than Windows defragger report which merely says your drive is x% fragmented and when it was last run but if it's hardly a reason to go out and pay $40 for a 3rd party product that won't actually defrag any better.

Last edited:
Soldato
It may not be quite the same but on XP, the free version of Diskeeper is much faster than the built-in defragmenter.
For me, the single-pass defragment is more elegant than having the built-in one doing it in bits and pieces. And my PC doesn't have much 'idle' time.

Soldato
The included defragger in windows xp was crap, so used to use Diskeeper and I've just chosen to not use the built in windows on since, currently using O&O on my 7 machine now :)

Associate
Put simply, as you delete files you leave gaps between other files on the HDD. When you next write a file, it fills in the gaps. These gaps are not always large enough so the file being written gets split up.

Since the read and write heads of a HDD takes time to move to different parts of the HDD, the more a file is split up, the longer it takes. Over time, this fragmentation can get pretty bad and completely bin your performance.

Defragging basically finds files that are split up and joins them back up, and also compacts all the data on the HDD so all the free space is on the end [making it less likely new files will get split up.].
Ah, thanks a lot for your reply.

So does the Windows 7 Defragger do justice or would I need a seperate software to do it properly?

I am 64-bit if that helps.

Man of Honour
If you actually see my posts/screenshots above you will see evidence that Windows defragger is no different at defragging than any third party app, especially one considered to be "the best" for Windows 7 by many.

Associate
If you actually see my posts/screenshots above you will see evidence that Windows defragger is no different at defragging than any third party app, especially one considered to be "the best" for Windows 7 by many.

Sorry, I had looked at them but forgot. :(

Associate
The Windows defraggers work reasonably well when there is a lot of disk space and they have to deal with only 'simple' fragmented files, but falter in low space conditions (< 15%) and when they encounter fragmented system files. Speed of defrag is also another factor and the windows defraggers are definitely slower than the good third party ones (eg the lousy Vista defragger and especially when it has to defrag multiple disks). There is also the problem where the Win defragger tends to delete older system restore points when VSS is active on a volume (Vista/7)..not sure if they've fixed that for Win 7. Ofcourse, on the flip side, the commercial defraggers are obviously not free, so price vs performance comes up.

I still run XP (win 7 rig has been delayed indefinitely) and I far prefer to let a commercial defragger deal with 4+ TB spread across several disks rather than leaving it to the Windows utility :p

Soldato
That's assuming you let your fragmentation get on top of you. Let Windows 7 use the schedule and your fragmentation will be Zero or close to it. And who cares how long it takes? Set it to rock n roll before you go out or to bed. Even if you have pretty bad fragmentation it will be done by the time you get back. :)

I don't blame you for using a third-party product on XP though. That thing was dire.

Soldato
The best Defrag software I have found is Auslogics disk defrag which is free. I disable the automatic defrag schedule and run Auslogics every now and again. Excellent little program!

Back
Top Bottom