1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

windows home server in vmware bluescreen error

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by kiel367, 9 Mar 2010.

1. kiel367

Wise Guy

im getting an error while installing windows home server in fact its a b.s.o.d error, with a 0x000000007b error which i know to be a hard drive error, but i have created a new virtual drive and then it formats in the process of install, can anyone shed any light into why i am getting this particular blue screen error?

2. SiriusB

Capodecina

I had this error once when I used a Dynamic Virtual HDD. Windows had an issue with the changing size and crashed.

3. PhillyDee

Capodecina

Virtual drive? It could be because you are trying to do something it doesnt want/wsnt designed to do?

4. SiriusB

Capodecina

There is no reason why it shouldn't work in a virtual machine - every version of Windows from XP to Vista to 7 and all Server OSs from 2003 to 2008 work just fine in VMs.

The specific issue I was refering to was a dynamic virtual drive, as opposed to a static virtual drive. The latter is fixed and gets written upon creation. The former is made larger on the fly, though the client OS doesn't [shouldn't] know any different.

However, in some cases Windows doesn't like this. With both a Windows 7 and 2003 VM I had an issue when using a dynamic virtual disk.

5. .one.

Mobster

Im using virtual box with dynamic virtual disks on win7 with no problems if this helps.

6. marc2003

Capodecina

i virtualised the WHS beta without any issues. i remember having to configure the VM with an IDE drive because WHS setup failed to detect the default SCSI drive that vmware normally uses for windows 2003. i didn't get any BSODs though - just a simple message saying drive not found. :p

7. lokkers

Wise Guy

I've had WHS virtualised in VMware Server just recently, no problems apart from the initial SCSI drive not being found (created an IDE instead).