1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows keyboard on OSX?

Discussion in 'Apple Hardware' started by Hades, 19 Feb 2010.

1. Hades

Caporegime

I'm thinking of getting a keyboard for my MBP. I'm tempted by the wired full size Apple version. But I'm also considering the Logitech Illuminated keyboard. This is a Windows keyboard but has illuminated laptop keys. Does anyone here have experience of mapping keys to OSX? How easy would it be, or is it just a bad idea?

2. K1LLSW1TCH

Caporegime

Try having a look here. :)

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2005/11/20/using_a_british.php

I've tried this a while ago just out of curiousity and if it doesn't recognize your keyboard straight away it bring up a wizard that allows OSX to identify what type of keyboard you're using. I'm not sure if the @ and " keys were swapped around but I'm guessing that link above should be handy. :)

3. Hades

Caporegime

Thanks, I'll take a look and give it go with another kb I have laying around.

4. keogh

Mobster

I've used a Windows kb on my Mac a few times, always recognises it, but it never swaps the @ and " around, so if your pc kb in the British format (i.e. " above the 2) then you will still get the @ up there.

5. Hades

Caporegime

How about any special keys such as media and volume controls? Can they be mapped?

6. keogh

Mobster

tbh I have those keys on the keyboard but never use them in OS X or Windows, so can't really say I'm afraid, sorry. give it a go and see how you get on I suppose.

7. Blackhawk47

Capodecina

My Razer keyboard works fine on my Macbook. Recognized it straight away without having to install any drivers. I find the Mac OS X is pretty impressive for finding things like USB devices. :o

8. fishsmell

Associate

I use a Logitech Wave keyboard with an MX mouse. Logitech provide their own driver software which has always worked well for me; with the extended keys.

As for the UK keyboard problem. Under SL you need to ensure you use a 64 bit keyboard setup (not available from Apple) as you'll find non-SL (64bit) keyboard configs will drive you potty as you flip from a 32bit app to a 64bit app and find your keys will have shifted again.