1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Center and H264

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by Auraomega, 14 Mar 2010.

1. Auraomega

Wise Guy

I'm looking for a free decoder/codec for playback of H264 under Windows Media Center (so I assume Windows Media Player). Something efficient would be great. I've tried ffdshow but to no avail which may possibly be my encoder.

So my second question is, what software is good for converting ripped DVDs into H264? Currently using XMedia Recode but I'm not certain if this is causing my above issues.

2. feriso

Mobster

3. Django x2

Capodecina

I use shark 007 codecs which works pretty well. I also use, MakeMKV which is a beta and allows you to rip to, well, err, mkv :)

4. wolvers

Soldato

If you're using Win7, it already has a decoder for h264. Also, media center and media player are not the same program.

5. Auraomega

Wise Guy

Thanks for those suggestions, turns out my encoder was causing the issues and I'm now using Handbrake as I can write a batch file to convert a couple of films and then shutdown at night :)

Have been having a play around with the options, I think I've got a setup I'm happy with but any suggestions on optimal settings? I'm using a 5.1 setup and a full HD monitor so can't have the picture compressed too much.

@wolvers69:
    I'm pretty sure Media Center is actually just a shell for Media Player based on the fact all settings and all plugins for WMP work in WMC and I'm sure Microsoft aren't going to reinvent the wheel for WMC when they already have software that can do everything for it already ;)

6. Shilz

Hitman

Hey I managed to sort out my Media Center yesterday and spent most of the evening adding covers lol.

Its works so well im just using MC as my main media player and movie store. Ordered a 2TB WD RE4 for all my other movies so cant wait to fill that one up.

[​IMG]

Now to spend some more time adding movies and covers. :D

7. NathanE

Capodecina

How do you add covers?

8. Wossi

Mobster

You could make life easier and install media browser, it does it all for you. Don't know how I've lived without tbh.

9. Shilz

Hitman

10. Auraomega

Wise Guy

I've been wondering how to do this! For my covers I've been doing a Folder.jpg for each one... not annoyed me yet but I've only ripped 5 of my DVDs, I'm sure it'd get more tedious if I did my entire collection ;)

11. Pho

Sgarrista

Alternatively you could use XBMC and set it to download covers and movie/TV show information automatically (it uses online databases like tvDB) - it looks miles better too :p.

Shame their site is down right now mind :o.

Last edited: 15 Mar 2010
  12. Kezmo

Wise Guy

[​IMG]

Looks much better imo
    Media browser , vanilla skin (coverflow view)
    Meta browser (Grabs covers & backgrounds + all movie data from Imdb)

13. Auraomega

Wise Guy

Hmm, is there any format other than using the plain DVD files to allow me chapter and menu support for movies? I hadn't realised how much I liked the scene selection ;)

Can someone also let me know the average size of a Blu-ray/HD movie? Can you also add age rating, year and so on to any format?

Last edited: 16 Mar 2010
  14. Django x2

Capodecina

Actually, in W7 they are the same program. Same Library is used and when you open a media file in WMC, it opens WMP in the background. Therefore, if you specify WMP x64 as the default play, WMC will also use WMP x64 to play files through.

15. wolvers

Soldato

Yeah, sorry. I was getting mediaplayer mixed up with mediabrowser..........how embarrassing! :p

Back to what I was saying about decoder though, the best option for WMC in Win7 seems to be just register the matroskasplitter.ax, from the MPC-HC standalone pack, and then use the latest build of ffdshow which now supports bitstreaming all audio codecs, stream switching and DXVA with subtitles (which has never been possible before in WMC). You need to use the Win7 Filter Tweaking tool to get the video decoder working though.

Last edited: 17 Mar 2010