Windows Reinstall

Associate
Evening all,

I have a Dell laptop here with a completely knackered HDD. I'm going to buy a new HDD for it but when it comes to reinstalling Vista i'm a bit stumped when it comes to the license.

Basically the client can't find their recovery disks anywhere. The question, can i just install Vista OEM onto the laptop? I've heard that Dell have a different licensing method with their CD keys though?

Can someone shine some light on this for me please?

Cheers

Associate
It should be fine.

However some manufacturers when they install the OS use a bulk product key which is programmed into the BIOS. The sticker on the bottom of the laptop may not work but if this is the case just phone up MS when the OS is installed and they should activate.

Check to see if there's another product key on the HDD by using this guide http://www.dagondesign.com/articles/windows-xp-product-key-recovery/

Soldato
The problem is some manufacturers - Dell being one of them - have a chip on the board that basically causes it to throw a wobbler if it isn't Dell OEM install media.

The Product Key on the sticker should work, but whether it will work with a generic OEM disc is impossible to tell sometimes. Suck it and see is usually the best way! Dell can probably get you some recovery discs, but I reckon they'll charge you for the pleasure.

Associate
I am in the same dilema,

I want to put a new SDD in my MSI GX660 and reinstall windows 64bit. Will the license code work on the back?

Oh and sorry to jump thread.

Soldato
The problem is some manufacturers - Dell being one of them - have a chip on the board that basically causes it to throw a wobbler if it isn't Dell OEM install media.

The difference between the DELL OEM install media and the generic OEM install media is just a couple of files..

OP, you should be able to install Vista OEM on it. For permanent, offline activation, you will then need:

1. a DELL OEM Product Key that matches the version of Vista that you have installed.

2. A DELL OEM Certificate ( small xml file )

I've tested this on one of my laptops, a Dell Inspiron.

Back
Top Bottom