Windows Server 2019 Essentials vs Standard vs Azure vs Synology?

Associate
I wondered if I could get some opinions on the following...

I have a HP DL380p Gen8 server that I am considering using in our business to replace an old server that needs replacing.

I have been looking at pricing for Windows Server and while I originally wanted to go for Windows Server 2019 Standard, the non-oem version is around £880+vat so looking to see if I can save money as our use case is very basic.

All we need really is active directory, folder redirection and file sharing. Our email is already using Office365.

As such, I wonder whether Server 2019 Essentials would be sufficient OR is there a viable argument for opting to either use azure for active directory/folder redirection and a NAS for local file sharing or buy a Synology NAS and use the Synology Active Directory Server?

Any thoughts/opinions would be hugely appreciated.

Associate
A bit late but there were never any replies so here is my take:

It honestly depends on how many users you have, at one point I would have said spin up a little DC on the DL380 G8 (Which you would license as a standard host as this gives you two VMs) as this way you could also run a backup VM such as Veeam and have this use a NAS as a repository.

That being said this past couple of years AAD and Intune as a viable product have come on leaps and bounds and I am now only recommending an on-premise DC to those who have existing infrastructure, line of business apps or devices with LDAP integration or that need something a bit more complex to warrant an on-premise environment.

All our new customers who just need central authentication and management, file storage and email are being setup with Office 365, Intune and AzureAD on Microsoft Business Premium, M365 E3 or M365 E5 plans.

This gives you the central authentication, user management and MFA via AzureAD where you can customise the portal and manage logins for your users. You then use Intune/Microsoft Endpoint Manager for your device configuration and compliance policies and even to push down applications such as AV and Office. Plus you can manage Windows, Android, MacOS and iOS devices with Intune depending on what you are using in your fleet.

For yourself I would roll out some policies to redirect user folders to OneDrive as that negates the need for the NAS (Depending on what you are using) or if you wanted to get really fancy you could spin up a DC in Azure, connect that to 365/AAD using AD Connect and then LDAP connect the NAS to it. That way you can use a powershell policy to map drives on the NAS to your users laptops via Intune and because the NAS is connected to AD via the Azure hosted DC you can then use AD groups to give them access to the shares.

However, if it were me I would be sticking to AzureAD, Intune and Office 365 and going on-premise only if there is a warrant for it

Soldato
If you already have an Active Directory Domain on your old server, it's probably worth considering the costs of a new server, licensing etc versus chucking a small general purpose VM in Azure running traditional ADDS. Could save you some money, and let's be honest a single VM or even a few VMs as long as they're general purpose aren't going to incur much of an OPEX CPM. This allows you keep the way you're working now (assuming you are on a Domain) - otherwise I would agree with TechMiner and look at potentially going full AzureAD, with the caveat that AzureAD is not AD apart from the name, but for small businesses it generally doesn't matter.

Associate
I use Synology Directory Server running on 10 Systems so far and have no issues with it.
Used to use Windows Active Directory but prefer Synology now.
I would not use Server 2019 Essentials, had enough of the old Windows SBS systems to last me a lifetime.

Associate
If you are familiar and able to implement azure services into your business this will work at a much lower cost. If you cannot i would avoid Azure. I would not go near Essentials because for a few extra £££ Standard provides much more.

Synology is great and much cheaper when it works. When it fails its nothing but a nightmare!!!!

Associate
If you are familiar and able to implement azure services into your business this will work at a much lower cost. If you cannot i would avoid Azure. I would not go near Essentials because for a few extra £££ Standard provides much more.

Synology is great and much cheaper when it works. When it fails its nothing but a nightmare!!!!

Not sure why you reckon Synology is a nightmare when it fails.

I have extended warranties on all the Synology NAS Systems, Directory Server is backed up every day and all data is backed up in real-time to an Offsite NAS and snap-shot's taken as protection against Ransomware.

Application backups (Directory Server) can be restored to another NAS in a few minutes to have it up and running.

I use mine for the following:-

Directory Server.
File Sharing.
Backups of data local & remote / Snap Shots / Cloud Data backups.
CCTV Systems.
Drive sharing for remote offices.
Running Virtual Machines.
Image Backups of Physical & Virtual Machines.
iSCSI

Been using Synology products for over ten years now and have had the odd drive fail and once had a PSU fail and that's all.

Currently have about 50 Synology NAS devices running at present.

Associate
Not sure why you reckon Synology is a nightmare when it fails.

I have extended warranties on all the Synology NAS Systems, Directory Server is backed up every day and all data is backed up in real-time to an Offsite NAS and snap-shot's taken as protection against Ransomware.

Application backups (Directory Server) can be restored to another NAS in a few minutes to have it up and running.

I use mine for the following:-

Directory Server.
File Sharing.
Backups of data local & remote / Snap Shots / Cloud Data backups.
CCTV Systems.
Drive sharing for remote offices.
Running Virtual Machines.
Image Backups of Physical & Virtual Machines.
iSCSI

Been using Synology products for over ten years now and have had the odd drive fail and once had a PSU fail and that's all.

Currently have about 50 Synology NAS devices running at present.

Disk failures and PSU is so low level and easy to work with its not worth even typing about. I Am talking about system related issues that involve service sync not data or root kit viruses. Synology SRS are pretty good once you have gathered the information for next day replacement service but they do not offer you a 4hr replacement window and it often takes a few hours to gather the info for them to authorise a replacement item. If you have several NASs that have all failed it takes even longer and if you have a rootkit good luck on getting a replacement within 3 days.

As i said before when it works its great but if you get any higher end technical issues with this setup, good luck on getting a fast turn around. Just be lucky its only a psu and disk that has failed.

Synology is ok for small business but still not enterprise class

Associate
Disk failures and PSU is so low level and easy to work with its not worth even typing about. I Am talking about system related issues that involve service sync not data or root kit viruses. Synology SRS are pretty good once you have gathered the information for next day replacement service but they do not offer you a 4hr replacement window and it often takes a few hours to gather the info for them to authorise a replacement item. If you have several NASs that have all failed it takes even longer and if you have a rootkit good luck on getting a replacement within 3 days.

As i said before when it works its great but if you get any higher end technical issues with this setup, good luck on getting a fast turn around. Just be lucky its only a psu and disk that has failed.

Synology is ok for small business but still not enterprise class

Fair enough - Synology do need to up their game in this area.

I do like the new SA3200D NAS with power and controller redundancy but its an expensive beast.

Associate
Fair enough - Synology do need to up their game in this area.

I do like the new SA3200D NAS with power and controller redundancy but its an expensive beast.

dont fall for it, power redundancy is common on large rack mounted arrays. the controller redundancy is overrated on synology, you are better of saving the £££ and just use HA. However once you hit that level of spending you need to really question yourself why you are spending that amount on a synology.

Associate
2019 Essentials is nothing like the old SBS world. I have put it in for a few very small businesses that will never exceed the licence limitations. On 2019 Essentials you can only have 25 users and 50 devices. The OS is exactly the same as standard, no extras like you used to get on SBS.

With 2019 Standard you are allowed to licence another two Virtual machines on top of the main OS. Then you will need your CALS on top of that so there are cost savings to be had with essentials.

Personally I would go for Essentials if your not going to hit the licence limit.

Back
Top Bottom