Windows update confusion...

Soldato
I always thought windows update did all the needed updates for things like office as well but i only just found out that it doesn't do all microsoft software. :confused:

I normally use ie then go to tools > windows update menu which leads to windowsupdate.microsoft.com but i got office and found from their update site that there were lots of missing updates so i click their update link and it lead to update.microsoft.com which wants a small update to access it, both ways still end up at the update.microsoft.com except now it updates office as well as windows!

Im a little confused about why i just found this out, anyone know whats up?

Last edited:
Soldato
Windows Update only updates Windows. You can choose to "upgrade to" Microsoft Update, which includes all office updates and so on. Once you've used it once, Windows Update automatically directs you there, and Automatic Updates will from then on download Office updates. That's the way it's been for quite a while - before that I think Office (and I guess other microsoft software updates) were only available entirely seperately (Office Update or manual download)

Soldato
I don't think there's anything horribly unstable or nasty about the beta, give it a go if you like. I didn't think much of it myself, am sticking to Firefox. It's only a "beta preview" at the moment which apparrently means it's a preview of the beta (!), and the actualy "beta 2 release" will be more intended for curious home users. Or something.

Back
Top Bottom