Windows won't shut down or restart properly

Associate
I can boot in fine, but if I reset it goes to black screen and stays on, and if I shut down the screen goes black like its shutting down but all fans and lights and graphics card etc still stay on, iv already browsed Google for a fix but none have worked, I can't list them all as I forgot all the methods,, one was to change what the power button does to shutdown and it didn't work, another that supposedly fixes it is to update intel management but I'm using a ryzen processor so I couldn't find it presume its an Intel only thing not something chucked on all of Windows, if anyone has any fixes or suggestions they'd be gladly tried out, thanks in advance

Soldato
You using Ryzen CPU, it wont work well when you have Intel apps installed such as Intel Management Engine, Intel SGX etc so you will need to uninstall all Intel apps then restart PC and see if you can shut down PC and reset PC properly.

If it still not work then you will need to download Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 iso to reinstall Windows 10.

Associate
OP
You using Ryzen CPU, it wont work well when you have Intel apps installed such as Intel Management Engine, Intel SGX etc so you will need to uninstall all Intel apps then restart PC and see if you can shut down PC and reset PC properly. I couldn't find the Intel management, so it's either not installed or hidden somewhere, usually found in device manager or services? I went to we're it said it might be but it's not there so presume it's not installed, sorry I didn't explain it very well =/

If it still not work then you will need to download Media Creation Tool to download Windows 10 iso to reinstall Windows 10.

Soldato
I tried that and it didn't fix it, but because I bought a one use Windows license online I had to buy a new key so I don't really want to have to buy another one. Any other ideas about what it could be? Thanks for helping so far

No you really don't need to buy a new key just for reinstall or upgrade Windows 10, no matter how many time you reinstall windows 10. I probably reinstalled and upgraded Windows 10 over 10 times in 3 years.

Look like it not Windows 10 issue, possible motherboard issue.

What your motherboard brand and model?

Associate
OP
No you really don't need to buy a new key just for reinstall or upgrade Windows 10, no matter how many time you reinstall windows 10. I probably reinstalled and upgraded Windows 10 over 10 times in 3 years.

Look like it not Windows 10 issue, possible motherboard issue.

What your motherboard brand and model?
It's an Asus b350plus I'm starting to think I might have connected a front panel connector wrong tho

Soldato
It's an Asus b350plus I'm starting to think I might have connected a front panel connector wrong tho

I read ASUS B350 Plus manual, the motherboard has front panel audio connector, 2 USB 2.0 connectors USB34 and USB56 as well as 1 USB 3.0 connector USB3_12.

You probably plugged USB 2.0 cable in wrong connector, try plug in on the right labelled USB34 first. That is what I plugged my front panel USB 2.0 connector on the right connector labelled F_USB1 rather than on the left connector F_USB2.

If issue still happen then try disconnect front panel audio and USB cables to see if your PC can reset and shut down properly. Also try update to latest BIOS version 4008.

Edit: I googled ASUS B350 Plus and found people had experienced exactly same issue as you.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1629708-ryzen-built-will-not-shut-down-standby.html

Check your BIOS for SATA controller to make sure it set to AHCI.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I read ASUS B350 Plus manual, the motherboard has front panel audio connector, 2 USB 2.0 connectors USB34 and USB56 as well as 1 USB 3.0 connector USB3_12.

You probably plugged USB 2.0 cable in wrong connector, try plug in on the right labelled USB34 first. That is what I plugged my front panel USB 2.0 connector on the right connector labelled F_USB1 rather than on the left connector F_USB2.

If issue still happen then try disconnect front panel audio and USB cables to see if your PC can reset and shut down properly. Also try update to latest BIOS version 4008.

Edit: I googled ASUS B350 Plus and found people had experienced exactly same issue as you.

http://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd-general/1629708-ryzen-built-will-not-shut-down-standby.html

Check your BIOS for SATA controller to make sure it set to AHCI.
USB is in the usb34, I tried a load of different configurations for the pwr sw cable and it only worked in the slot it was already in, just checked bios and its on latest version and on ahci on Sata settings :/ so I'm at a loss at the moment, I reinstalled windows as well and ran cc cleaner, and sfc scan now, just about to go to bed as I'm fed up of it at the moment if you have any other suggestions I can try in the morning, as said before thanks for the help so far

Associate
I had this issue with a failed windows update, each shutdown/reboot would fail. Check your update log if there is a failed update try the manual add/remove download for that specific update (kbxxxxxx).

Back
Top Bottom