windows xp - default users documets name want to change - how ??

Associate
ok got a load of machine in work, all xp sp2, fired them up and set them up as default name = user.

obviously system thinks default user is user.

The machines have been rolled out but what i want to do is change this default name to "jbloggs"

basically so that under documents and settings it says jbloggs instead of the initial generic name of "user" that i used as default.

Thanks in advance

jase

Soldato
You'll have to create another user with the name you want, I doubt you can just rename it. If you setup the "default user profile" correctly you shouldn't have too many problems with program settings etc not being brought across properly.

If it wasn't though you could have a few problems with printers, proxy settings etc.

Once you've added the user it's just a case of setting it to login automatically as that new user.

Edit: if it's just the "documents" folder you want to be renamed you can probably get away with that by renaming the c:\documents and users\user\user's documents to jbloggs's documents

I've never tried it though :p

Associate
OP
machines not on domain on a workgroup at the moment

basically its the 1st account that was created

say on explorer at the moment it looks like this under documents and settings

administrator
all users
default user
user

its the bottom one i want to change thats the one that has the data etc etc all the others are blank,

so the system defaults to this, i can change name in the users box to say "jbloggs" but it will not change the user bit under documents and settings to this also if the screen saver kicks in it defaults to user as the name

it looks as if everything is stemming from this account

hope this helps kind of

jase

Soldato
did you just create a new user at windows setup or have you installed apps and customised windows settings etc?

if only a user has been created, delete it and create a new one.

what about the "file and settings transfer" thing. never used it but this should allow you to create new user, transfer the settings and then delete the old user.

Back
Top Bottom