1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows XP/Vista and Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by brummie, 13 Oct 2009.

1. brummie

Mobster

I have been asked to set up an Ubuntu machine that has all the different users on it and give them their own home directory. How can i get each one to be able to log into their own home folder remotely from the LAN?

The server is to be used as a desktop normally by an Admin/user and all the clients basically can store their stuff on it.

I have set up SMB shares but its not right. I have to allow them all to write in the folders or view each others work.

2. .walls

Wise Guy

Code:
    man samba
    or

linky

or more info?

3. brummie

Mobster

Right can you point out the bit where it allows each user only access to /home/user? I need them to have access to their own home directory from the LAN and when they access the desktop/server directly

4. Minto

Hitman

make /home a nfs share on a remote server using a file system that supports linux permissions. Mount in at boot using fstab. Allow write access to individual subfolders only to specific users by setting write permissions on the server.

I've never done anything of the sort before but that's how i'd approach it.

5. .walls

Wise Guy

I assume that your clients can see the shares, therefore look for the bits that involve permissions.