Wipe Out

Don
its your car so of course you can buy it back, you will probably be able to buy it for peanuts too

bad luck, make sure you claim for the personal injury stuff too thats an easy couple of grand

Soldato
Jay, you most certainly will be able to buy it back.

Insurance companies are always looking to make money,fair enough it's what businesses do. So, when they offer you something they are going to offer you a low amount and on the other hand charge you top whack to buy your car back.

Definately haggle more money out of them and buy your car back for as little as possible.

The Mondeo I had which I bought back cost me £60 to buy back. I stil have a few odd parts left which I keep meaning to ebay. So far made about £750 from parts though! Also, they offered me £900 for the car (that's what I paid- they never knew this though) and pushed them upto £1100.

Best of luck and keep us updated, how are you feeling (medically and emotionally)?

How is the passat, a little different from a 205GTi no doubt!

What I would do (knowing you want another 205) is buy any old 205 which has an immaculate or near immaculate body. Strip it all down and prep it all. Then, from all the bits you flog pay for the car to be resprayed. Transfer over all your existing shiny bits and you will end up with an immaculate 205.

OK, so not as simple as that but you get the idea.

Jay

Jay

Associate
OP
Thanks Telsa.

I'm not too bad now, still abit shook up at the fact seeing a 4x4 ploughing towards me! :eek: :D

The Passat is an awesome drive, however am i right in thinking it has the same engine as the other VAG 1.9TDI cars? I looked on parkers and the Passat engine only produces 103bhp whilst the vRS produces 130bhp.

It's nice having climate control, power steering etc. :p

I will probably get another 205 GTi, just looking on ebay, autotrader as we speak.

Thanks for the info about haggling the price, buying back etc, i will let you know how i get on.

Jay

Jay

Associate
OP
Update:

Just been offered £475.00 from the insurance as a settlement for my written off car. Told them no.

A few people have said i can demand the car to be fixed no matter the cost as she has admitted full liability. Is this true?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Jay said:
Update:

Just been offered £475.00 from the insurance as a settlement for my written off car. Told them no.

A few people have said i can demand the car to be fixed no matter the cost as she has admitted full liability. Is this true?

You have the right to be put in the same position you were before the crash IIRC. That means either repairing yor car to a full and high standard, or paying out enough to replace the car properly. And unless 1.9GTi values have dropped like a stone recently, £475 is a derisory offer even by insurance standards.

Soldato
As far as I'm aware you cannot demand the car is fixed no matter what the cost.
If you could do that then there wouldn't be the need for a "Technical Write-Off" as everyone would simply demand their car was repaired to the condition it was before the accident.

Now you've refused their first offer it is your turn to do some research.
Pick up Autotrader, find adverts for similar vehicles to your own and tell the insurance company it is going to cost you x amount to replace like for like.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
stoofa said:
Now you've refused their first offer it is your turn to do some research.
Pick up Autotrader, find adverts for similar vehicles to your own and tell the insurance company it is going to cost you x amount to replace like for like.

Quoted for agreement. That would be what I would do. Find a car of same or similar spec to yours that is up for sale, and take that info back to the insurer. You weren't at fault in this accident, so they are obliged to put you back in the position you were before it.

Jay

Jay

Associate
OP
They are going through my solicitors so i sent advertisements to them from the autotrader. Prices ranging from £2,500 to £1,300. Check out just GTi's website. Some nice examples on there at crazy prices :p

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Jay said:
They are going through my solicitors so i sent advertisements to them from the autotrader. Prices ranging from £2,500 to £1,300. Check out just GTi's website. Some nice examples on there at crazy prices :p

Heh :) I'd certainly try and play for the most money you can if they insist on writing the car off.

Back
Top Bottom