1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless Help

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by smoove, 24 Jan 2006.

1. smoove

Soldato

Ok, im having a few problems trying to get my wireless connection going, between my computer with a Wag54g router/net and my laptop with a Wireless G card.

Can anyone tell me the things I should do on both the laptop and computer to enable wireless networking? I've followed a few guides and I havnt had no sucess, I've enabled wireless networking on my router and turned off the encryption and things, but for some reason the laptop cant find a wireless network to connect to.

Does anyone know weather the router should have the "wireless G" light on all the time, or only when theres someone connected? Ta.

2. tim_enchanter

Wise Guy

Do you have ssid broadcast enabled on the router?

3. Skilldibop

Wise Guy

you need SSId broadcast or manually enter the router's SSID. You need protocol G enabled on the router and card. You need both card and router on the same channel. Usually 11 on most products. Also make sure your speed settings are right.

4. smoove

Soldato

SSID is enabled. I should be using the Infrastructure mode correct?
    On A list of available channels ,all it picks up is its self? (Shows a Wireless card) and a signal of 0%.?

5. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

Look on the bottom of your WAG54G router, what version have you got? If you have v1 I suggest you send it back straightaway, it is one of the worst routers ever made, however v2 seems to work well. Yes the wifi light should always be green and flash when there is network traffic. You should be using infrastructure mode as well, what wireless card have you got?

6. smoove

Soldato

Yea I got version 1.2 :( I cant send it back, It's been up the atic for about 8 months untill now.

I've got a Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter.

My wifi light isnt on.

7. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

Ok then you can RMA through linksys, send them an email saying its absolute rubbish and how the wireless drops out every 10minutes and that hundreds of people have this problem and that they are clearly aware of the problem as they release no new firmaware They will replace it with version 2 hopefully, well they did for me and others.

8. Skilldibop

Wise Guy

[/QUOTE]Ok then you can RMA through linksys, send them an email saying its absolute rubbish and how the wireless drops out every 10minutes and that hundreds of people have this problem and that they are clearly aware of the problem as they release no new firmaware They will replace it with version 2 hopefully, well they did for me and others.

9. smoove

Soldato

What am I supposed todo for a modem in the mean time? :(

10. Skilldibop

Wise Guy

Depending on your ISP you probably have access to a backup dialup service. That or get a cheap jobby off ebay or borrow one.

11. Mikey1280

Wise Guy

Skilldibop well that's what I did but in a slightly more polite manner ;) . Have you got an old USB modem that you can use? The RMA service is usually quite quick.