1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wireless network card for laptop??

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Big Spender, 24 Jun 2006.

1. Big Spender

Wise Guy

im going abroad later next month and the place im staying has wireless internet, but my laptop doesnt have wireless connectivity. my laptop has a slot in the side thats about the size of a credit card, i guess thats where it would go, so where can anybody recommend a decent cheap card

2. FunkyT

Mobster

3. Red and White

Sgarrista

get one which does both b & g. better chance of it being compatible when you go abroad :)

4. tolien

Caporegime

If it does 802.11g, it does 802.11b, and going abroad has not a great deal to do with it.

I'd suggest working out if the slot's PCMCIA, or ExpressCard for starters, and ideally finding out what wireless standard they're using. Sensible answers would be 802.11 followed by a, b, g, or "pre-n", or some combination of the above.

5. Red and White

Sgarrista

i know. i just meant he wouldnt now what kind of wireless they would have so to get wide compatibilty to be on safe side.

didnt know that :p should have tho

6. aix0

Hitman

I've got a Buffalo wli-cb-g54s, seems to get excellent range and has also got the option to add an external antenna. Great card IMO.

7. benjo plz.

Capodecina

b does g anyway. ;). I'd get a Gigabyte GN-WIAG02 tbh, it's internal so you don't have to mess around putting it in and out and it doesn't stick out or anything. Depends how accessible the internal slot is. (what laptop is it?)

8. tolien

Caporegime

If it's 802.11a, you're still screwed, which is why I suggested trying to find out what setup they were using.

9. Big Spender

Wise Guy

well i emailed the guy who owns the villa and got a fairly quick reply

so what do you recommend?

the slot is on the side of my laptop and is the width and length of a credit card.

10. mattreay

Associate

Sounds like your OK to go with any of the above suggestions. May be worth checking what type of wireless security they use, if any, and make sure you get a card that can handle their security type.

11. Big Spender

Wise Guy

thanks for the suggestion, ill drop him another email to check this

12. tolien

Caporegime

That doesn't mean a great deal - what type is it (or what model is your laptop, and someone can look)?

13. Big Spender

Wise Guy

tbh i dont have a clue, we've had this laptop for a good couple of years now. still works great and does exactly what i need it to do. it was made by Tiny. sorry i cant be much more help, is there anywhere on the system that will tell what kind it is?

14. tolien

Caporegime

The manual should, though if it's more than a year old, it's most likely PCMCIA, though I'd check out Phnom Penh's suggestion first (though mini-PCI can be a PITA).

15. Big Spender

Wise Guy

also asked about the security measures and got this reply

still need to dig out the manual and find out what kind of slot it is lol

16. benjo plz.

Capodecina

lol @ "magic number"

You need to know whether it's 802.11a or 802.11b/g.

17. tolien

Caporegime

:p

18. FunkyT

Mobster

19. hp7909

Soldato

Isn't there a sticker somewhere underneath the laptop that gives you some of its details? If so, Google them or post them up here.

Anyway, I suspect its PCMCIA slot, so I suggest you get the same make adaptor/card as their Wireless router for maximum compatibility:
    • Linksys WPC54G Wireless-G Notebook Adapter (NW-004-LS) £23.95 - Currently out of stock @ OcUK :(
    • or Linksys WPC54GS Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SpeedBooster (NW-011-LS) £34.00

20. benjo plz.

Capodecina

:o missed that bit.