Wireless networking with multiple access points

Permabanned
I have been asked to configure a wireless network that requires multiple access points to provide full coverage.

The primary Router/AP is a linksys WRE54G, connecting to a cable internet connection. I know that i can use extenders to increase the range of the wi-fi connection, however this will decrease through put and is not the solution i want.

I can run cat 5 cable to the locations of the additional AP's, however what i need to know is the configuration settings.

I know each AP will need the same SSID and encryption key to allow roaming, however what i am unsure of is settings for DHCP to prevent conflicts, and gateway settings for the additional AP's, also should the additional AP's be the same model as the primary router?

Any help would be appreciated

Tui

Tui

Associate
I'd get just access points, not router/AP.
As well as cat5 for network connectivity, you'll also need to have a power point, unless you use PoE.
As a suggestion, APs could be the new Linksys WAP4400n, then get one of the Netgear PoE switches (8 port has 4 port that will supply power) or two for resilience, depending on the number of access points.
Connect the switches together, Router/AP into one and the access points in the PoE ports. DHCP provided only by Router but configure the APs with static addresses for management.

Back
Top Bottom