1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wireless networking....

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by xirokx, 11 May 2006.

1. xirokx

Mobster

Hi,

Im trying to connect a laptop to a wireless router to share internet connection and files on the network...Its a netgear wireless router (model DGxxxxx) and a netgear network card...

I installed the network card software on the laptop, configured it at which point it found the network so I inserted the key for WEP and then run small office/home network wizard then rebooted....

The laptop connects to the network and has full signal......when I go to connection status I noticed the IP, SUBNET MASK etc are all unavailable when the IP should be assigned by DHCP...

I cannot access the internet or share files...

I am using win xp home sp1 and there is norton on there as well....

What am I doing wrong ?

Please advise

Thanks in advance...

2. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Double check that you entered the WEP key correctly, Windows does have a habit of not telling you if you entered it wrong.

Disable Norton and see if that makes any difference.

Turn off encryption on the wireless network temporarily and see if you get an IP address then.

3. xirokx

Mobster

does norton conflict with wireless networks?

4. crashuk

PermaBanned

what you could do it unplug your tel cable then stop nav and ping gateway.

5. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

Not wireless networks as such, but if it isn't setup correctly it could be blocking the DHCP request either leaving your PC, or the DHCP offer getting back to your PC.

6. Curiosityx

Mobster

Whats the model number on the Netgear box, some units allow you to specify whether DHCP addresses should be issued on the LAN Interface, Wireless Interface or both.

7. Burbleflop

PermaBanned

None of the DG's do that as far as I'm aware.

8. hlxbravo

Wise Guy

Have you run the Norton wizard ?? By going into Norton, selecting Firewall, then Configure and finally the Networking tab .... so that it can enable your network card access ??