Wireless router for bridging

Associate
Really don't have much knowledge with regards to networking, least of all wireless networking, so looking for a bit of advice/guidance.

Situation is; just moved house and there is already an active broadband connection. O2 refuse to install a second phone line so that I can continue my contract at the new property. As such, I am currently using an old wireless G USB adapter in my pc to access the Internet through the already present sky broadband modem router. Physical access to this is not possible, so use of my homeplug isn't an option. Login details remain unchanged and I am able to access the router settings, if necessary.

I have an 8 port gigabit switch with computer, smart tv, Xbox, Blu-ray and apple tv connected. Having done a little research, am I right in thinking that I can add a wireless bridge to the switch (via Ethernet cable) which will then open up Internet access to the other devices?

I would rather purchase a good router than a dedicated bridge as I feel the router will have more functionality and usability in the future.

So...how easy/difficult would it be to set a wireless router as a bridge and do what I am looking to achieve from it?

What router(s) would be considered a 'good' purchase for this task?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Wireless bridging is a minefield at best.

Usually totally compatible products are desirable if not required, some models will have built in bridge mode but your mileage may vary.

The most resilient solution I have used personally is a router running DD-WRT as it can do 'client based' bridging. That is, the DD-WRT router connects to the wireless network as a client (like any device can) and then bridges it onwards like that, rather than a router <> router bridge.

Obviously DD-WRT only supports routers and not ADSL routers which means you are limited for re-use in the future but you can possibly pick up a cheap router which supports DD-WRT and go from there.

Associate
OP
Right, so my understanding of that is;
It doesnt matter what wireless modem is currently installed and being used to access the Internet. As long as I buy a router which can work with the dd-wrt gubbins it's all good.

If the 'new' router (that I purchase) is operating as a client, does this mean it wont be able to broadcast the wireless network? I was kind of hoping that in addition to bridging the wireless-wired bits it would also allow wireless access and give a better/stronger connection than the current wireless gateway.

Any recommendations on a router? The asus rt-n66u seems to be mentioned a fair amount and appears to get good reviews. Always used linksys and d-link kit in the past. What's good around the £100iah price mark?

Thanks.

Associate
I'm actually doing almost exactly this at the moment while our Virgin Media service is down. I've got an old D-Link DIR-615 running DD-WRT setup in client mode connected to the wifi hotspot on my Android phone. Then the D-Link is connected to the WAN side of my normal router attached to the rest of the network.

Works a treat. There's full instructions of how to do it with DD-WRT if you Google for it but it's quite straight forward.

Soldato
Best thing is to go on over to the DD-WRT page, check the compatibility for some models and get one's which are fully featured and have been developed for properly. Ideally you want one which supports everything you need without paying for DD-WRT itself.

Associate
OP
Okay, so I bought the Asus rt-n66u...after a rather nerveracking few hours I have successfully flashed it with the DD-WRT firmware.

All set up in client bridge mode, works a charm! Only (slight) problem is that the 5ghz radio isnt working since the firmware update.

EDIT; Found a setting for both wireless radios on the DD-WRT, second one was disabled. All sorted now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom