Wireless USB in Ubuntu

Associate
Hey guys, so I bought this Wireless USB device from Ocuk, and am having trouble with it.
Plugged it into a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04, and it was recognised ok within a few seconds, I can see my network however for some reason it wont authenticate the password (WPA secured) so I cannot connect.
There are linux drivers available on the website, but I have no clue how to actually install them as this is my first stab at an Ubuntu setup :o

Any help appreciated!

Associate
does the download come with a readme type file?

also is there a proprietry driver avaliable for the wireless in the additional drivers seaction?

i can't download it to look (work)

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
The .rar contains plenty of documentation.

Code:
wget http://www.addon-tech.com/new/system/uploads/ADD-NWU271.rar
unrar x ADD-NWU271.rar
cd ADD-NWU271/Driver/Linux/
chmod +x install.sh
sudo ./install.sh

Associate
OP
Found a solution over at askubuntu.com, thought I would post here in case anyone else had the same problem :)

I had the same problem and here's how I solved it. The summary is the built-in driver didn't work work completely, and I downloaded installed the manufacturer's driver instead, making sure the new driver was set to start on boot while the built-in driver was blacklisted.

Search on the Realtek site for your hardware. For me, I used lshw -c network to see that I had RTL8192cu, so I searched for that, which led me here

You should get a zip file to download it. I used a second computer for this and saved it to a USB drive, and then transferred it over the SneakerNet to the troubled computer.

After unpacking the 'zip' file, enter the directory it creates in the terminal and run sudo bash install.sh

Disable the built-in driver by editing /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and adding a line like blacklist rtl8192cu (The name you use should match output from lshw -c network

Set the new driver to be loaded by boot by editing /etc/modules and adding the line 8192cu

This step is optional. You can immediately test the new driver by manually unloading the old driver and manually loading the new driver. After these steps, the networking should work.

sudo modprobe -r rtl8192cu sudo modprobe 8192cu

Reboot and test the networking again to confirm that your changes 'stick'.

I recommend keeping the "zip" file from Realtek around in case you need it again. The changes to files in /etc should survive upgrades, but the driver itself may not survive all kernel upgrades and the "install" step may need to be repeated.

Back
Top Bottom