wiring a rev counter to the alternator

jmp

jmp

Associate
Does anyone know how to wire a rev counter to your altenator? I have taken one off my old car that was simply on the negative of the ignition coil but it should work off the altenator too. Anyone know where i need to connect it too?

jmp

jmp

Associate
OP
apparently it can. i work at a company that develops/tests new fuel/oil additives and the lads in the engine test department say it can be done. the signal from the coil is the same as the alternator voltage changes and will pulse it correctly. i have read on the internet of someone doing it to an old meastro so it should work.

Soldato
You are unlikely to be able to run a standard ignition driven tachometer from the alternator, no matter what the lads might say.

Some alternators (primarily for diesel engine applications) have a tachometer output. This is essentialy a half wave rectified output from one of the field coils. The frequency of this output will depend not only on the engine RPM but also the ratio of the crank and alternator pulley circumference. The tacho has to be specificaly designed to work with this frequency and voltage range, which is unlikely to be suitable for an ignition driven tacho.

Back
Top Bottom